[comp.sys.tandy] Need Info On Orchestra-90.

ca029@unocss.UUCP (Jon Scheer) (02/08/88)

Hi.

   Several months ago I picked up Orchestra-90 for the Model III.  It
works fine on my Model 4, but I have to run it in Model III mode.  The
beast it pretty slick, but I would really like to know how to communicate
with the plug in board (which fits into the expansion port).  I was wondering
if anyone out there has played around with Orchestra-90 and knows what
is necessary to communicate with it (ie, make it play) without using the
supplied software.  (I'd like to try to get it to work under CP/M, etc)

   Are there any specs available from Tandy?

   Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. (:-)

Jon Scheer
...{ugn|ihnp4}!unocss!ca029

tbear@ozdaltx.UUCP (Teddy Bear - Alpha Delta House:) (02/11/88)

Greetings JON,  Several years ago I worked for TANDY in their National
Q.C. Dept for Computer Software and had the oppertuinity to test and
write the addendum for the ORC.90 system you are talking about.  There
is not alot of information available except what comes in the users
guide included with the software, at least to my knowledge.  The best
way to see how the software works is to use you DEBUG command.
***MOST*** tandy software starts with line number 10 and the first
few lines are info on when the software was written and when, ect.
If the system asks for a password to allow access into DEBUG, try
PASSWORD.  This was our common, in house test PW that we used and
alot of times it stayed the same after release.  If you havent already
noticed, there is a page with a "DEMO" listing of a SONATA <?> that
gives you line numbers and then ORC.90 code, DONT ENTRBER THE LINE
NUMBERS!  The line numbers are and error and never should have been
included in the final draft of the users guide.  The software interpits
the line numbers as code and trys to "PLAY" them, thus giving you
some LONG & OUT OF KEY NOTES.  The number are STILL in the current
issue of guide and this happened 6 - 7 years ago!  <typ.TANDY>
The differance between thr MODEL-III & MODEL-IV versions is the number
of voices the machines support.  If I remember correctly, the MODEL-III
will support 4 voices and the MODEL-IV will support 5.  Check you
manual and see if there are 2 versions on your ORIGINAL CASSETTE TAPE.
I think there were 2 versions on it, one on each side.  It has been
6 - 7 years since I worked with this package, so I am pulling all
this from memory.  I hope this will help you some.

          ***********************************
          * Brad Pruden @ OZ BBS DALLAS, TX *
          * tbear @ Alpha Delta House/OZBBS *
          ***********************************

rjs@a.cs.okstate.edu (Roland Stolfa) (02/19/88)

In article <238@unocss.UUCP>, ca029@unocss.UUCP (Jon Scheer) writes:
>                                                                    The
> beast it pretty slick, but I would really like to know how to communicate
> with the plug in board (which fits into the expansion port).
	If I remember ripping one of those apart correctly, it is on
	port 74h & 76h (Right and left chanels).  That info was generated
	with a bit of help from the original Orchestra-80 manual that had
	the ports documented...

Roland J. Stolfa
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

UUCP:  {cbosgd, ea, ihnp4, isucs1, mcvax, pesnta, uokvax}!okstate!rjs

Internet:       rjs@a.cs.okstate.edu

Disclaimer:	You have lost your MIND if you think ANYBODY speaks for
		this place!