[comp.sys.tandy] uucico brain-damaged?

ameyer@spies.UUCP (Andy Meyer) (04/21/88)

I wonder if anyone else has made this discovery regarding the uucico which
is included in Xenix 3.x? While I was trying to write a "non-standard" L.sys
entry, I discovered that (1.) Attempts to use the hyphen to separate
expect/send pairs are ignored. (2.) Attempts to use backslash to send
non-printing characters are ignored.

I needed to send 5 returns to wake up my remote system, so I wrote:
  test Any tty02 9600 tty02 "" \r\r\r\r\r name: uucp
and when uucico was invoked (uucico -r1 -stest), my terminal displayed:
  \r\r\r\r\r

Ah yes. The -x debug option is also non-functional.

Comments please!

--
 Andreas Meyer, N2FYE                |  uucp: ..uunet!philabs!spies!ameyer
 Worldnet: 41.07 deg N, 74.02 deg W  |    or: ..spies!moebius!{ameyer,root}

rmb384@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Bownes) (04/23/88)

In article <284@spies.UUCP>, ameyer@spies.UUCP (Andy Meyer) writes:

> Ah yes. The -x debug option is also non-functional.

	You must supply a debug level to the -x option as in:

		uucico -r1 -x12 -sbeowulf

	I have found 12 to be a decent debugging level. The manual entry
follows. (taken from the UNIX manual)

NAME
     uucico - transfer files queued by uucp or uux

SYNOPSIS
     /usr/lib/uucp/uucico [ -dspooldir ] [ -ggrade ] [ -rrole ] [
     -R ] [ -ssystem ] [ -xdebug ] [ -L ] [ -tturnaround ]

     -xdebug Turn on debugging at level debug.  Level 5 is a good

--
Bob Bownes, Aka Keptin Comrade Dr Bobwrench III	|  If I didn't say it, It
bownesrm@beowulf.uucp  (518)-482-8798		|  must be true.

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (04/23/88)

In article <284@spies.UUCP> ameyer@spies.UUCP (Andy Meyer) writes:
+---------
| I wonder if anyone else has made this discovery regarding the uucico which
| is included in Xenix 3.x? While I was trying to write a "non-standard" L.sys
| entry, I discovered that (1.) Attempts to use the hyphen to separate
| expect/send pairs are ignored. (2.) Attempts to use backslash to send
| non-printing characters are ignored.
+---------

Read the UUCP(C) manual page.  It says there that the uucp provided
with that flavor of Xenix is a V7 port.  *No* V7 uucp (that I've ever
seen) supports (2.).  To get the same effect you can try imbedding ^M's
(with vi, use ^V^M) in the expect/send strings.  I haven't tried this,
though (no need).  I never had a problem getting (1.) to work.

| Ah yes. The -x debug option is also non-functional.

Tandy is aware that the -x option is broken.  It is corrected in the
(soon to be released) 3.2 development system, although the uucp is
*still* the V7 one (from the original Xenix 2.3).

- paul

--
						       |  THINK ...           |