[comp.sys.tandy] 1.44MB Floppy for 1000SX? Survey Says: NO!

7GMADISO@POMONA.bitnet (04/21/88)

Date: 19 April 1988, 13:21:32 PST
From: 7GMADISO at POMONA
To:   COMP-SYS-TANDY at VU-VLSI

Sorry, you are out of luck.   You cannot put a 1.44MB 3.5" drive (or a
1.2MB 5.25" drive, for that matter) in your 1000SX; the floppy controller
simply isn't set up to handle it.  I suppose if you plug in an AT-type
controller (assuming such will work on the SX) you might then be able to
use one, but with the built-in FDC, the best you can do is 720k.

                            -- George D. Madison

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (04/22/88)

In article <1551@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU>, drexel!liberty!7GMADISO@POMONA.bitnet writes:

> Sorry, you are out of luck.   You cannot put a 1.44MB 3.5" drive (or a
> 1.2MB 5.25" drive, for that matter) in your 1000SX; the floppy controller

You certainly can install 3.5" 720K, 1.44 Meg, 5.25" 360, 720, 1.2 Meg,
even 8 inch drives on your Tandy 1000 SX or any PC that has at least
one regular PC type slot free.  You need a card called the "Compaticard"
which plugs in and allows you to add up to four ADDITIONAL drives of
any of the above types.  Up to 4 Compaticards can be installed in one
PC allowing you to have up to 16 floppy drives at once.

The Compaticard, from Microsolutions costs $175 list but I happen
to know a source where I can get them for 20% discount if you want one.

...Mike    ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (04/23/88)

In article <4970@ecsvax.UUCP> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:
+---------
| In article <1551@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU>, 7GMADISO@POMONA.bitnet writes:
| >
| > Sorry, you are out of luck.   You cannot put a 1.44MB 3.5" drive (or a
| > 1.2MB 5.25" drive, for that matter) in your 1000SX; the floppy controller
|
| You certainly can install 3.5" 720K, 1.44 Meg, 5.25" 360, 720, 1.2 Meg,
| even 8 inch drives on your Tandy 1000 SX or any PC that has at least
| one regular PC type slot free.
+---------

And what do you call "regular PC type slot?"  The Tandy 1000{A,SX,TX}
have "short" card cages (~10 inches) and so cannot accept full size
IBM PC cards.  Half cards work, though.  Is the Compaticard a half-size
card?

- paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.				       +----------------------+
						       |  THINK ...           |

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (04/25/88)

In article <756@devon.UUCP>, paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:

> And what do you call "regular PC type slot?"  The Tandy 1000{A,SX,TX}
> have "short" card cages (~10 inches) and so cannot accept full size
> IBM PC cards.  Half cards work, though.  Is the Compaticard a half-size
> card?

Yes the Compaticard is a 5 inch long card so it will fit all PC's, ATs
etc. that have normal expansion slots.  It will definitely fit in a
1000SX.  It has its own memory resident software driver that makes
the drives look like letters above your highest existing drive.

By "regular PC type slot" I meant the 62 pin connectors on the mother
board.

I dont think it will fit the half height 1000EX and HX because I
assume they don't have standard expansion slots or if they do are
they mounted horizontally ??.

Mike    ......decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg