[comp.sys.tandy] 3.2 Devl. Sys

daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) (04/25/88)

In article <755@devon.UUCP> paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:
>In article <284@spies.UUCP> ameyer@spies.UUCP (Andy Meyer) writes:
>> Ah yes. The -x debug option is also non-functional.
>Tandy is aware that the -x option is broken.  It is corrected in the
>(soon to be released) 3.2 development system, although the uucp is
>*still* the V7 one (from the original Xenix 2.3).

3.2DS was Real Soon Now last year.

When *will* 3.2 hit the streets? When Tandy has its annual new product
announcements? This is a bit silly.

I have 'heard' of the 3.2DS for the past several months. It is also referred
to in the 3.2Core man pages. I would really appreciate any info regarding
when Real Soon Now is. Yes, I _have_ checked the local Business Products
Centers. No, they have no idea what 3.2 Xenix is.

If no dates are known (or Tandy won't talk), then maybe whet my appetite
by posting some the goodies 3.2DS will provide. An sdb maybe? A compiler
(and lint) that understands void? A preprocessor that has more than 8 sig-
nificant characters? A ctags that knows about typedefs? A _real_ inittabs?
Disk partitions? ...
--
--------------------"Well, it looked good when I wrote it"---------------------
 Verbal: Dave Burton                        Net: ...!ihnp4!laidbak!daveb

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (05/07/88)

In article <1419@laidbak.UUCP> daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) writes:
+---------
| I have 'heard' of the 3.2DS for the past several months.  [ ... ]
|
| If no dates are known (or Tandy won't talk), then maybe whet my appetite
| by posting some the goodies 3.2DS will provide. An sdb maybe? A compiler
| (and lint) that understands void? A preprocessor that has more than 8 sig-
| nificant characters? A ctags that knows about typedefs? A _real_ inittabs?
| Disk partitions? ...
+---------

SDB?  (void)?  I don't know for sure, but I doubt it, as those are SYSV
features (more or less) and 3.2 is still a V7/SysIII clone.  I have
heard, though, that the 3.2 cc/as/ld will not *officially* support long
variable and function names, but if you know the right command line
argument (which will be undocumented) ...  :-)

A real inittab?  You already have the 3.2 /etc/init if you have installed
the 3.2 runtime, so don't hold your breath.

Disk partitions?  I've been doing that since 3.0!  I won't take the time
to describe how here (unless I get enough requests), but I will show
the particulars.  Here is what "diskstat 0" and "diskstat 1" say about
my two hard drives:

    # diskstat 0
    cyl = 1024, heads = 5, sectors = 17
    bad track max = 100, blocks = 85306
    # diskstat 1
    cyl = 977, heads = 5, sectors = 17
    bad track max = 100, blocks = 81311

Drive 0 is a Miniscribe 6053 (44.6 Mb formatted) and drive 1 is a
Seagate ST-4051 (42.5Mb formatted).  Here is what "df -vk" (yeah, I
wrote my own df, too) says about my filesystems:

    # df -vk
    Mount Dir  Filesystem   Kbytes    used    free  % used
    /          /dev/root     10880    9418    1462   86.6%
    /usr/spool /dev/spool    31773   29685    2087   93.4%
    /usr       /dev/usr      36660   34565    2095   94.3%

The Miniscribe (drive 0) contains /dev/root and /dev/spool.  The
Seagate (drive 1) contains /dev/usr and a 4Mb /dev/swap area.  Yup,
swap on the secondary drive.

Ah heck, I'll give you a hint as to how to setup the partitions:

    # l /dev/root /dev/spool /dev/usr /dev/swap
    brw-r-----   1 sys      sys        1, 33 Apr 12 20:06 /dev/root
    brw-r-----   1 sys      sys        1, 34 Jun 30  1987 /dev/spool
    brw-r-----   2 sys      sys        1, 40 Dec 11 09:53 /dev/usr
    brw-r-----   1 sys      sys        1, 42 Nov 25 15:59 /dev/swap

Take a good close look at the major/minor numbers above, and then
compare them to the ones you're using on your "stock" system.
[ I'll bet my /dev/spool looks like your /dev/swap ... :-) ]

I will give a more detailed explanation to anyone who requests it.
Of course, allow me time to type it up!  I'll post it if enough
people ask.

- paul

--
						  | Know what I hate most? |