[comp.sys.tandy] XENIX Upgrade

mikeh@killer.UUCP (Michael Hammond) (05/16/88)

   I have a 16B with 1.4.5 I bought on sale a few years back. It was
and is, running 1.4.5 XENIX. I understand that there have been quite
a few upgrades I have not been notified of (3.2 etc.). I spoke with
a Computer center and was told "I" missed a hardware pal upgrade that
is no longer available and therefore my only recourse was to buy a 6000
upgrade at about $1600 dollars. I would appreciate any information anyone
might have on upgrading my system.

					Thanx in advance

						Michael K. Hammond

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (05/24/88)

In article <4104@killer.UUCP> mikeh@killer.UUCP (Michael Hammond) writes:
>   I have a 16B with 1.4.5 I bought on sale a few years back. It was
>and is, running 1.4.5 XENIX. I understand that there have been quite
>a few upgrades I have not been notified of (3.2 etc.).

Did you send in the card with the software? Tandy has never failed to
notify me of upgrades, although I've heard about them on the net first.

>I spoke with
>a Computer center and was told "I" missed a hardware pal upgrade that
>is no longer available and therefore my only recourse was to buy a 6000
>upgrade at about $1600 dollars. I would appreciate any information anyone
>might have on upgrading my system.

If you have the "long-tail" 68000 CPU card the PAL upgrade is not reliable,
but it works - I have a Snapp-modified long-tail card with 3.0 PALS.  The
6MHz short-tail card can be upgraded with PALS; they were being sold in
Computer Shopper this month (RS section of classifieds).  There are quite
a few service mods to the 16B that should be done and checked; our local
service shop did that for $80 or so.  The main change was a new card cage
(old one has metal guides, new one has plastic).

The 256K DRAM card can be modified to support 1MB of 256K DRAMS.

All in all it may not be worth doing; we are now being offered 16Bs with
8MHz 68000 cards/1MB DRAM with 15MB drives for $500, and someone is
apparently blowing out 6000's with 512K DRAM/15MB internal for $1200 in
quantities of 20 or more.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!mandrill!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)