[comp.sys.tandy] Hard Drives for 1000 TX

lbach@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (05/12/88)

I am starting to look for a hard drive for my 1000 TX, probably in the
20 meg range.  I know I must look for ones specifically compatible with
this machine and there are quite a few brands to choose from in ads in
PCM.  I think Southwestern Digital has the lowest prices of these ads.
Does anyone know of any definite brands to avoid?  Are some definitely
better than others, say for access speed?  Or should I just go for the
lowest price?

Thanks for any information,

                    Jim

---
Jim Loellbach
Dept. of Aeronuatical & Astronautical Eng.
Univ. of Illinois, Urbana
lbach@uicfda.aae.uiuc.edu

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (05/16/88)

Your only concern in selecting a hard drive for a 1000TX is the length of the
controller card, and that the controller card is designed for the XT rather
than the AT bus.  Other than these considerations, any of the standard hard
drives should work fine.

					  John Reynolds
--- Standard disclaimer
    Tandy Electronics is not responsible for my ramblings, I am.

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (06/01/88)

In article <193300062@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:

>Your only concern in selecting a hard drive for a 1000TX is the length of the
>controller card, and that the controller card is designed for the XT rather
>than the AT bus.  Other than these considerations, any of the standard hard
>drives should work fine.

Oh, you mean the "non-standard" interrupt swapping (and other strange things
you guys did with the T1k's BIOS) is finally gone?

We can use our standard peripherals without hacking the boards now?

Thanks (my customers will also thank you; we do third-party retrofits of HDs
on your gear and now the cost can be a little more reasonable) - although
you're too late for my computing dollars.  The T1k's incompatiblity stunts
turned me permanently off.  Smelled too much like another company with a
3-letter name :-)

--
Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910