[comp.sys.tandy] Radio Shack TRS80 Model II disc controller

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (08/24/88)

In article <693@auvax.UUCP> tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) writes:
>I need to play some intimate games with my model II disc controller but I know
>nothing about it and taking the machine apart and peering at the board didn't
>help.

RS carries the manuals as a special order item.  There is also a disk drive
diagnostic program (used in testing the Model 16/16a/6000) that is used for
disk drive alignment.  The former is not expensive; the latter is.  The system
also uses standard 8" drives; you could disconnect them from the II electronics
and run a cable to a system for which DDD does work.

I believe that the II does use the WD 17XX chip. The controller is not very good
(disks that do not work on it work fine on my IMSAI with Tarbell DD controller).

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!mandrill!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)