[comp.sys.tandy] wanted: info on 6000 modem adapter

rcm@petro.UUCP (Ron C. McDowell) (08/30/88)

Tandy, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to drop the 26-1373 modem adapter
from their most comprehensive line of microcomputer products ;---]

This is the little devil that lets you connect a modem to a 3-port card.

Anybody out there that would kindly supply me with the pinouts for this?
Please post or email to ...!uunet!dpmizar!petro!flattop!rcm or
...!gatech!petro!flattop!rcm.  Thanks, and LONG LIVE THE 6000!

iv@hal6000.UUCP (08/31/88)

>> Tandy, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to drop
>> the 26-1373 modem adapter [ . . . ]
>> This is the little devil that lets you connect a modem to a 3-port card.
>> Anybody out there that would kindly supply me with the pinouts for this?

Here ya go, rcm@flattop, and anyone else who might need it:

3-port:   1    2    3    4    5    6    7   20
          ^    ^    ^    ^    ^    ^    ^    ^
	  |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
	  |    |    |    +----+    |    |    |
	  |    |    |              |    |    |
	  |    |    |              |    |    |
	  |    |    |    +----+    |    |    |
	  |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
	  v    v    v    v    v    v    v    v
Modem:    1    3    2    4    5   20    7    8

----
[This information was provided by an individual and is not  nor  should
 be  construed  as  being provided by Radio Shack or Tandy Corporation.
 Radio Shack and/or Tandy Corporation have no obligation to support the
 information  provided.    The  author will, however, cheerfully accept
 mail.  This note will self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Good luck, %s.]

IV  (aka John Elliott IV)	 Domain: iv@hal6000.Tandy.COM
Tandy Systems Software		   UUCP: ...!killer!ninja!hal6000!iv
1300 Two Tandy Center		     or: ...!decvax!microsoft!trsvax!hal6000!iv
Fort Worth, TX 76102		  Phone: 817/390-2701; 9:30am-6:00pm CST

doug@ninja.UUCP (Doug Davis) (09/01/88)

In article <7842@petro.UUCP> rcm@petro.UUCP (Ron C. McDowell) writes:
>Tandy, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to drop the 26-1373 modem adapter
>from their most comprehensive line of microcomputer products ;---]

Tandy didn't drop it, just move'ed out of the inventory that a store may have,
you can order one , or have a store order you one from Radio Shack National
Parts.  If you need the phone number send mail.

---
doug davis                                        \ | /
Lawnet             -------------------------------- * -
                                                  / | \
6033 Arbor Bend #824
Fort Worth  Texas 76132
(817) 346 - 2552

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (09/05/88)

In article <7842@petro.UUCP> rcm@petro.UUCP (Ron C. McDowell) writes:
>Tandy, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to drop the 26-1373 modem adapter
>from their most comprehensive line of microcomputer products ;---]
>
>This is the little devil that lets you connect a modem to a 3-port card.
>
>Anybody out there that would kindly supply me with the pinouts for this?
>Please post or email to ...!uunet!dpmizar!petro!flattop!rcm or
>...!gatech!petro!flattop!rcm.  Thanks, and LONG LIVE THE 6000!

The 3-port card is a DCE device, unlike the tty01/02 ports that are DTE.
A standard null modem should work.  I have heard reports that the 3-port
cards did not support modems well before XENIX 3.2, but I've never used
a modem on tty04-9.  Two 6000's with a null modem between them run just
fine at 9600 if tty01 or tty02 are used on both machines. I routinely
download at 9600 using ZMODEM from tty04 and tty08 without a dropped
character.

If you have a II/16/16a you will also need to check your Z80 CPU card.
Rev C with fixes is supposed to work, but we never got anything but
Rev D to work (works fine without the 3-port card).

Finally, does anyone know where the MMU and the 3.2 development system
now reside?  Our local manager was told that both products were still
alive, but when?

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Internet: sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
known in the SCA as Sir Alan Culross, Earl Marshall of the Middle Kingdon

doug@ninja.UUCP (Doug Davis) (09/06/88)

In article <12349@ncoast.UUCP> mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) writes:
>The 3-port card is a DCE device, unlike the tty01/02 ports that are DTE.
>A standard null modem should work.
*********************** NO IT WON'T ******************************

The 3 port card is not a true DCE device, First of all the CD line is tied
second of all so is the DTR line.  The modem adaptor makes use of DSR and
on other line to work the modems hand shake signals, a standard NULL modem
JUST WILL NOT CUT IT. WHEN USING A 3 PORT CARD AND A MODEM USE THE MODEM
ADAPTOR, THATS WHAT IT WAS MADE FOR.  Believe ME, I KNOW, I WAS THERE!

If you really want to know send mail and I will blow the dust off of my
3 port board schmatics and tell you which lines..

___
 Sign seen on a local parts wearhouse....
 "BEWARE: Our guard dog has AIDS!"

Now I wonder, Who gave it to him?
---
doug davis                                        \ | /
                                                  / | \
1030 Pleasent Valley Lane
Arlington Tx, 76015
(817) 467 - 3740