[comp.sys.tandy] Are there any Tandy specific magazines left?

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (10/21/88)

I used to subscribe to 80 Micro magazine and enjoyed it very much.  Now I need
a new source for Tandy specific information.  Are there any other magazines
out there that I'm not able to find at the local news stand?  Also, has
anyone else done much work with the PC2?  I have one with a complete array of
peripherals and would like to see what other people are doing with this
machine.
--
       Life's just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end. - TBA

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

pa1044@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1044) (10/23/88)

In article <8497@mhuxu.UUCP> jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) writes:
>a new source for Tandy specific information.  Are there any other magazines
>out there that I'm not able to find at the local news stand?

If you're a Model I/III/4 user, then yes, there are some magazines
out there.  There's nothing the size of 80 Micro with slick pages
anymore, but the quality of many of these magazines, in my opinion,
surpasses that of 80 Micro's latter days of I/III/4 support.

One magazine is in electronic form and is known as TRSLINK.  It's
available on Usenet . . . check a few messages back.

Another interesting magazine is TRSTimes, a bi-monthly publication
on regular paper.  You can get a sample copy for $3.00 or all six of
the 1988 issues for $15.00.  TRSTimes will also be continuing into
1989, and offers subscriptions for that year as $18.00 for six
issues.  Their address is TRSTimes, 20311 Sherman Way #221, Canoga
Park, CA  91306.

I probably shouldn't put both of these in the same paragraph, but I
don't get either, so I can't describe them very well.  Computer News 80
is a monthly publication supporting the "user" of the Model 4.  It's
not very technical, so if you don't want to get into the
technicalities of the TRS-80, it's ideal.  Another publication is
The Misosys Quarterly, put out by (who else?) Misosys on (what
else?) a quarterly basis.  I've no idea what's in it.

If you're a NEWDOS/80 user and haven't heard of Northern Bytes,
now's the time to check out some of their back issues.  Other DOS's
are also supported, but most of the articles are NEWDOS/80-related.
There are eight issues each in volumes 5 and 6 at $2.00 each.  In
volume 7 there are five issues, the first two of which are $2.00,
and the last three of which are $4.00 (but double-sized).
Supposedly, they're still publishing, but if so, it's on a VERY
irregular basis.  Order from The Alternate Source, 704 N.
Pennsylvania Ave., Lansing, Michigan.  Sorry, I don't have the ZIP
code or phone number handy.  VISA/MC accepted, enclose $3.00 for
shipping and handling if you order more than just a couple of
issues.

If you're an MS-DOS user, you'll just have to check out the user
group newsletters and the other MS-DOS magazines.  That's so
widespread that no one considered it worth taking over after 80
Micro died.

--
John C. Fowler, pa1044@iugrad2.UCSD.EDU
(If you can remember that, good for you!)

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/24/88)

In article <8497@mhuxu.UUCP> jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) writes:
>                                                                    Now I need
>a new source for Tandy specific information.  Are there any other magazines
>out there that I'm not able to find at the local news stand?

Try calling Linda Hapner at 312-689-2325. She has a pretty good list of
local clubs and other sources of Tandy-related publications. It does
appear, however, to be a shrinking universe.
--

Time is nature's way of				Jean-Pierre Radley
making sure that everything			jpr@dasys1.UUCP

pa1044@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1044) (10/24/88)

In article <654@sdcc15.UUCP> pa1044@iugrad2.UCSD.EDU (John C. Fowler) writes:
[Just about everything deleted]
>                   Order from The Alternate Source, 704 N.
>Pennsylvania Ave., Lansing, Michigan.  Sorry, I don't have the ZIP
>code or phone number handy.

The ZIP code is 48906, and the phone number is (517) 482-8270.

--
John C. Fowler, pa1044@iugrad2.UCSD.EDU
(If you can remember that, good for you!)
Disclaimer: The Regents and I disagree on everything.
--

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (10/25/88)

I have a PC-2 that has been my travelling companion for years. It's been
mostly a calculator for me, though it is sort of the ultimate calculator.
In college days, it saved me from several classes, remembering generally
worthless constants and the like with great accuracy.

In calculus, I used to take in the printer too. On a test, I'd solve the
equation, and then run the graph on the machine. If I was wrong, it showed.
You have to show all your work anyhow, but it was an edge over 99% of the
people with no way to cross check their work.

I've recently started flight school, which begs for some special software.
The PC-2 is also very entertaining in boring situations. I used to have
whole libraries of animated characters that I did in it's hi-res bit mapped
mode. You could print characters in states of animation, adding them together
to build cartoons.

Somewhere here I have the only known (to us!) documentation to the PC-2
assembly language. There was only 1 routine that I am aware of, a routine
that inverses the screen, which was in one of the spiral bound handbooks that
came with the machine.

I have not been able to use my printer in quite some time, as one of the
internal gears broke.

I have many routines stored on little scrolled rolls of paper. I generally
wrote little routines as the need arose. I have only replaced the AA cells
once in the 4 or 5 years that I have had it. I always wanted the extended
memory but never managed to find any (along with money.)

A friend of mine recently came across the Sharp version of the same machine,
and bought himself a Radio Shack math software library. I dont know the
catalog number, but he was very happy with it.

Sorry about the "spew" nature of this message. When was the last time you
saw PC-2 info anyhow?

Terry Conklin
conklin@egr.msu.edu
!{frith|msudoc}!conklin