[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 6000 Hard drives

deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) (10/27/88)

Anyone know what is involved in taking a drive out of an external
enclosure and replacing it, probably with something a little bit
bigger? It's a full height 5.25" right? Format software will handle
it? Any problems to watch out for?
 <tdr.

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (10/31/88)

In article <106@xenlink.UUCP> deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) writes:

>Anyone know what is involved in taking a drive out of an external
>enclosure and replacing it, probably with something a little bit
>bigger? It's a full height 5.25" right? Format software will handle
>it? Any problems to watch out for?
> <tdr.

The "ideal" drive is the micropolis 1335 - formats to 70 meg.
I say "ideal" because that is the drive that Tandy puts in for their 70 meg
units.   Maximum you can put on is 70 meg.  The system can NOT handle any
drive larger than 1024 cyl by 8 heads.

If you have a Tandy system now, just put the same jumpers in.  They send a
signal out the cable to turn on a relay to power up the secondary.

I don't even have that.  I am running non-RS Rodime 203E's.  Both external.
If you have an internal 15 and and external, you can move both up to 70's and
run a maximum of two drives.  If you have externals only, that controller can
handle up to 4 drives.

That about covers it for normal stuff.   The interface units for the R/S
version of the Bernouli boxex is basically SCSI.  Snapp in Cincinnatti (sp?)
has been putting up to 8  scsi drives in the 250 meg up range from what I
hear.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

earl@trsvax.UUCP (11/01/88)

/* ---------- "Tandy 6000 Hard drives" ---------- */

Anyone know what is involved in taking a drive out of an external
enclosure and replacing it, probably with something a little bit
bigger? It's a full height 5.25" right? Format software will handle
it? Any problems to watch out for?
 <tdr.

	There is not really inherent problem to using other hard drives or
   replacing the existing ones with newer ones. Most anything will likely
   work. But, do not utilize the latest hi-tech-hi-speed stuff. Many of these
   hi-tech drives can exceed the design specs for the controller board. Pick
   drives that more or less mimmick the performance/speed charactersistics of
   the drive your replacing. You should have no problems then.

	MOST IMPORTANT  ----->>   All the Tandy external drives are powered up
   by 12 volts from the hard disk controller board. This 12 volts is provided
   in order to energize a relay in the external disk drive which then powers up
   the hard disk unit.
	This 12 volts is provided via the DATA ribbon cable on pin 7 (seven).
   ENSURE that that pin on the replacement drive is not grounded, or you'll get
   real excited as you smell things going up in clouds of noxious smelling
   smoke on the hard disk controller board.  If you do burn up the resister, it
   can be replaced using a 33 ohm 1/4watt resister. I like the 33 ohm resister
   better than the regular one used, as it burns up faster with less damage to
   PC board runs. You can tell quite readily as to which resister burns out so
   I don't need to identify it.
	Older Tandy 12's,16's,16B's, used a Primary Hard Drive plus up to three
   secondary drives. The primary drive contains the controller board which
   provides 12 volts for powering up all the other secondary drives.
	Newer 6000 machines only provide 12 volts for powering up one external
   secondary drive.

	I know of a number of people who replaced their internal Tandy 6000
   15 meg hard drives with 35 meg, 40 meg, or 70-80 meg units. No one ever
   stated that they had any trouble at all doing it. Please note though, that
   if your machine is under lease, warranty, maintenance contract or something
   that the Radio Shack or Tandy Service Center may not want to work on it, or
   it'll void your warranties, et cetera. If you expect TANDY to repair your
   machine in the future, check with your service center as to what the effects
   will be on future repair work.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way. >

						Earl W. Bollinger
						@ <trsvax!earl>

"You were in the Clone Wars!", said Luke excitedly.
"Yes", replied Obi Wan, "I was a DOS programmer. But that was before the dark
 times, before OS2."

rmf@media.UUCP (Roger Fujii) (11/02/88)

From article <106@xenlink.UUCP>, by deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt):

> Anyone know what is involved in taking a drive out of an external
> enclosure and replacing it, probably with something a little bit
> bigger? It's a full height 5.25" right? Format software will handle
> it? Any problems to watch out for?
>  <tdr.

Not much.  You can replace them with any reasonable ST506 drive
(I like micropolis).  There are a couple of lines you MUST solder into
the HD motherboard (the Write Protect), but this is rather straight
forward.
--
Roger Fujii - Media Cybernetics			Phone: (301)495-3305
Internet: fujiirm@cml.rpi.edu (preferred) or fujii@hqda-ai.ARPA

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (11/07/88)

In article <106@xenlink.UUCP> deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) writes:

>Anyone know what is involved in taking a drive out of an external
>enclosure and replacing it, probably with something a little bit
>bigger? It's a full height 5.25" right? Format software will handle
>it? Any problems to watch out for?

It is my understanding that any ST506 drive with 1024 cylinders or less can
be used.  The faster the seek, the faster the system.  I added two CMI 6640's
to a 15MB external system with no mods (except that I rejumpered the 15MB to
be drive 2 and made one of the 6640's drive 0 - great speed-up).  This worked
until the 6640's died of old age.  The XENIX formatter allows you to input
cylinders, heads, and bad tracks; it is apparently possible to play with
interleave (I've never done it).  Precomp is fixed and it is possible that
this might be a problem.  I understand that the 70MB is a Micropolis 1325.

I currently run a system with three Quantum 2080's (8" SA1000) off an old
8BM controller with no problems.  If the primary is changed I know that the
write protect stuff has to be faked out (on the 8MB drives that involves
taking a line from the output from the Write Protect switch and connecting
it to line 5 of the 20-pin data cable.

I also have info on the following other hardware hacks: 12MHz 68000 with 1/0
wait states for the 8MHz board; upgrading 256K boards to 1MB; and extending
the buss to allow using more boards in a II/16.  There was also a recent
posting here on using 5 1/4" 1.2MB drives instead of post48-2's. Finally,
I have a copy of the KA9Q TCP/IP package that runs SL/IP on a 6000 (from
bgun).

"sir-alan" is a 16B+/6000 with 3X 2080 running under XENIX 3.2 (3.0 Dev.
System).  It is a comp.sources.unix archive site.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Internet: sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
sir-alan: 814 333 6728 1200/2400 anonymous uucp login of "uucp"

mbeast@tls.UUCP (Michael East) (11/08/88)

In article <12876@ncoast.UUCP>, mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) writes:
> It is my understanding that any ST506 drive with 1024 cylinders or less can
> be used.  The faster the seek, the faster the system.  I added two CMI 6640's
> to a 15MB external system with no mods (except that I rejumpered the 15MB to
> be drive 2 and made one of the 6640's drive 0 - great speed-up).  This worked
> until the 6640's died of old age.  The XENIX formatter allows you to input
> cylinders, heads, and bad tracks; it is apparently possible to play with
> interleave (I've never done it).  Precomp is fixed and it is possible that
> this might be a problem.  I understand that the 70MB is a Micropolis 1325.

While we are discussing hard drives on the Tandy, I was wondering if anybody
else has played around with the interleave. I did a test last year with 10
different values and had no difference in speed. As near as I can tell the
Z80 combined with the controller always reads in an entire track using the
controller track read instead of retrieving individual sectors. Anybody
know better or can anyone support this theory?

I am interested because I have three different drive types on my 16a and if
I can squeeze any additional speed out of them... need I say more ;-)

Cheers,

----- uunet!attcan!utzoo!tls!mbeast	#include <std.disclaimer>
Michael B. East				(416) 491-6620 ext 508
Senior Technical Analyst		(416) 683-5914 (Home)
Jonas & Erickson Software, Toronto

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (11/10/88)

<>
R2>While we are discussing hard drives on the Tandy, I was wondering if anybody
R2>else has played around with the interleave. I did a test last year with 10
R2>different values and had no difference in speed. As near as I can tell the
R2>Z80 combined with the controller always reads in an entire track using the
R2>controller track read instead of retrieving individual sectors. Anybody
R2>know better or can anyone support this theory?

Sorry, the Z80 only reads the requested blocks and the controller can only
hold a single block at a time.  I suspect your benchmarking
method is faulty.  Physical disk format interleaves will only improve raw and
swap access speed.  Non-raw (normal) disk requests are copied through
cache buffers in the 68k memory and subsequently the Z80 is handed
single block read requests, even if the user read call was for numerous blocks.
This is because the cache blocks probably won't be contiguous and
when the Z80 gets a multi-block request, it stores/loads the data to/from
memory sequentially.  (This is standard UNIX/XENIX disk strategy.) To
compensate, mkfs allows the fs free-list to be "interleaved" as well.
More on that in a second.

If you perform a test that causes the swapping of large programs, or more
reasonably, read large amounts of data with single calls to the raw device
(no naughty writing unless you don't care about the target drive), you
will be able to set your physical interleave to optimum for swapping.

For normal day-to-day single block disk access (including program loads),
the mkfs interleave factors should be adjusted to a number that
matches the response time and overhead of the CPU.  All mkfs does is sort
the free-list it creates so that the blocks of files are spaced far
enough apart to compensate for the added overhead of going through
the cache buffers.  (As the fs is used, the "interleaving" of the fs is
gradually lost.)   Depending on the version of XENIX 3 you are running,
7 17, 8 17 and 9 17 may have been used.  Look at the installation script
to confirm which.  Note that by default the hard disk interleave is 3:1,
so there will be three mkfs interleave numbers that will be close to perfect
for you and these are NOT adjacent.  I believe they were 9 17, then 14 17,
then 3 17 in one version.  If the disk interleave is 4:1, there will be
four of these points, and so on.   Get yourself a big piece of paper and
draw out the interleave and you can work it out, or you can do what we did:
try all 17 combinations for each physical interleave.   You can either use
dd from the raw device to null in large quantities or write a program to do
a similar activity.  Do not use the dread program from the BYTE benchmarks,
it randomly accesses blocks to emulate fs activity.  Once you settle on
the physical format interleave, a secondary drive can be used to
determine the mkfs values without having to install over and over again.

<My opinion and not that of my company, who recently blew up a bush to
 break ground for a new building.  Honest!  The local news teams taped
 the entire thing but  did not  show it.  They had  some footage  of a
 pig  being evicted from Houston to show instead.>

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...sys1!hal6000!trsvax!uhclem
				"You've got a nice network here.  We
				 wouldn't want something to happen to it."

randolph@Alliant.COM (Verle Randolph) (11/13/88)

In article <12876@ncoast.UUCP> mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) writes:
>this might be a problem.  I understand that the 70MB is a Micropolis 1325.

	Just to make sure somebody goes looking for the correct drive,
the 70mb Micropolis is the 1335, not 1325.  For anyone that is interested,
the 44mb is the 1333, and the 130mb is 1355.