[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 6000: brain-damaged uucp

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/13/88)

The uucico program supplied with Tandy 3.2 Xenix is sick.

If I have an eight-letter sitename, such as 'jpradley', this will work fine
for anyone initiating a uucp contact to 'jpradley'.
But if site 'jpradley' calls another, it transmits its name as 'jpradle',
truncating to seven letters.

Any attempt by my uucico to login as 'Ujpradley' on a remote machine will
fail, because my uucico will send that as 'ujpradley', translating
upper-case to lower-case.

Any patches for this malevlolent behavior?

--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr@dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr

bgt@homxc.UUCP (B.TONGUE) (11/15/88)

In article <7615@dasys1.UUCP>, jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
->
-> The uucico program supplied with Tandy 3.2 Xenix is sick.
->
-> If I have an eight-letter sitename, such as 'jpradley', this will work fine
-> for anyone initiating a uucp contact to 'jpradley'.
-> But if site 'jpradley' calls another, it transmits its name as 'jpradle',
-> truncating to seven letters.
->
-> Any attempt by my uucico to login as 'Ujpradley' on a remote machine will
-> fail, because my uucico will send that as 'ujpradley', translating
-> upper-case to lower-case.
->
-> Any patches for this malevlolent behavior?

Why, just call Tandy Training and Support!  They'll be happy to
refer you to Texas!!!
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%   The Speaking Tongue, AT&T   %%  C Code.  C Code Run.  Run, Code, RUN! %%

gordon@sneaky.TANDY.COM (Gordon Burditt) (11/18/88)

I tried mailing this, but it bounced.

>The uucico program supplied with Tandy 3.2 Xenix is sick.
>
>If I have an eight-letter sitename, such as 'jpradley', this will work fine
>for anyone initiating a uucp contact to 'jpradley'.

The uucp that comes with the Tandy 6000 is a UNIX Version 7-derived version.
Host names are supposed to be limited to 7 characters.  (This isn't mentioned
in the documentation anywhere I can find quickly.).  This is unlike the
more modern System V versions of uucp, some of which require the name to be
unique in *SIX* characters.  The main reason for the 7-character limit is
that in order to create a temporary file name of the form:

<C, D, or X>.<system name><gradeletter><4-character sequence #>

and given that file names are limited to 14 characters, this limits the
system name to 7 characters.  This is difficult to change.  4.2BSD did,
but they broke a lot of code in the process.

>But if site 'jpradley' calls another, it transmits its name as 'jpradle',
>truncating to seven letters.

>Any attempt by my uucico to login as 'Ujpradley' on a remote machine will

Login names are limited to 8 characters.  Uucico doesn't know or care
about this, though.

>fail, because my uucico will send that as 'ujpradley', translating
>upper-case to lower-case.

uucico does not do this.  The getty on the other end (which I presume
is another 6000) is doing it.  This seems a little strange, but UNIX System III
(which Tandy 3.2 is derived from) does it this way, and it makes it possible
for people with upper-case-only terminals to log in on all logins by
effectively prohibiting mixed-case and upper-case login names.  (Someone
is going to groan that upper-case-only terminals are ancient, and they
are right).

I do know that if a later release were to *STOP* downcasing login names, there
would be a loud cry about things breaking.  This happened locally when
someone started informally distributing an auto-bauding getty that didn't do
this, and lots of uucp connections broke, especially because of the
U<system name> convention for the login name, and some users complained
At least one version of System V getty still downcases login names.
I don't think the more recent ones do.

>Any patches for this malevlolent behavior?

1)  Fix your host name to be 7 characters or less.  I think the net-wide
    acceptable list of characters is a-z, 0-9, "_", and "-".

2) If the ONLY problem is how your system is identified to another
system that supports longer host names, find the string "%.7s -Q%d %s"
in uucico and change the 7 to an 8.  I have not tested this.  You had
still better have a host name that is *UNIQUE* in the first 7 characters
(well, because of System V, 6 characters).

Note that you may have still more problems with an 8-character system
name.  If you have to put your own system name in USERFILE, I suggest
putting it in twice on duplicate lines, one chopped to 7 characters, and
one not.  There is some inconsistency in chopping system names in control
files to 7 characters, and in some contexts "jpradley" and "jpradle" are
different names.

There are some mailers around that chop system names to 7 or 8 characters.
This can make it painful to reply to mail originating from or passing
through a system with a long name.  "microsoft", for instance, is likely
to end up "microso" or "microsof" in the return address on the From_ line.

				Gordon L. Burditt
				...!texbell!sneaky!gordon

Disclaimer:  these opinions are those of the author only, and not
necessarily those of any organization.  Do you really think that
an organization, which is made out of legal paperwork, money, and
no neurons, can have opinions?  Nobody promises any support for
the information in this article.

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/20/88)

In article <4351@sneaky.TANDY.COM> gordon@sneaky.UUCP (Gordon Burditt) writes:
>I tried mailing this, but it bounced.

Do you remember what routing you used?

>The uucp that comes with the Tandy 6000 is a UNIX Version 7-derived version.
>Host names are supposed to be limited to 7 characters.
>Login names are limited to 8 characters.  Uucico doesn't know or care
>about this, though.

That does seem to be true on the 6000. On other systems, I note host names
and login names of nine characters, or more.

>>fail, because my uucico will send that as 'ujpradley', translating
>>upper-case to lower-case.
>uucico does not do this.  The getty on the other end (which I presume
>is another 6000) is doing it.

At site 'jpradley' (Tandy 6000): I cannot employ Ujpradley as a login name
from site 'trigere' (also a Tandy 6000). I must avoid that capital 'U'.

But at the same 'jpradley' site, the login name 'Uhombre' is quite nicely
used by a (non-Tandy) machine for a uucp login.

But from what you said, if it's the getty on the called machine that does
a "_tolower()", how can it do it selectively when getty has no idea about
the nature of the calling device? Same getty is answering all calls, but
different uucico's are calling...