[comp.sys.tandy] 8k Cluster Size! & Why doesn't Tandy notify us of new versions of MS-DOS?!!!!

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) (01/14/89)

	Why does TANDY's MS-DOS 3.2 format the hard disk with 8k cluster size?
Can I change this?? (2k preferable on a fully packed 20meg hard disk).  Any
suggestions???

	My father purchased MS-DOS 2.11 and registered it and all that stuff
and we have yet to receive ANY information what-so-ever from TANDY as to
new updates or even newer releases of TANDY MS-DOS.  We have Tandy 1000s.
Infact what is the latest version of TANDY MS-DOS available for Tandy 1000s?

	THANKS!
GRegg Thompson
426 JAnes LAne
MAcedonia, OH 44056-1820
216-650-6330
--
To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

andyross@igloo.UUCP (Andrew Rossmann) (01/15/89)

In article <72@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:
>	Why does TANDY's MS-DOS 3.2 format the hard disk with 8k cluster size?
>Can I change this?? (2k preferable on a fully packed 20meg hard disk).  Any
>suggestions???
>	My father purchased MS-DOS 2.11 and registered it and all that stuff
>and we have yet to receive ANY information what-so-ever from TANDY as to
>new updates or even newer releases of TANDY MS-DOS.  We have Tandy 1000s.
>Infact what is the latest version of TANDY MS-DOS available for Tandy 1000s?
>	THANKS!
>GRegg Thompson

  If you upgraded from MS-DOS 2.11 to 3.2, did you re-format the disk?? You
MUST do that in order for 3.2 to reduce down to 2K clusters. Also, are you
partitioning the disk? MS-DOS 3.2 will use 4K clusters if a logical disk
size is <12M.
  I am using Tandy's MS-DOS 3.2 on my 1000SX and a Seagate ST-251 drive. It
is formatted as 2 20M partitions and 1 2M partition. The 20M partitions
have 2K clusters, and the 2M partition has 4K clusters. I use the 2M
partition for temporary files and other little miscellaneious stuff where
it is nice to be able to do a simple DEL *.* when I'm done.

andyross@igloo.UUCP, andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM