[comp.sys.tandy] Colour Computer 2 monitors

tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) (01/14/89)

I have a computer illiterate friend with a colour computer 2 who asked me,
is it possible to hook some flavour of monitor to a CoCo2?  Hmm?

From looking at the catalog I would say you cannot (although you can use a
monitor with the CoCo3) but I would be glad to be contradicted.

     *********	    73
    **********	    Richard Loken VE6BSV
   .      ****
  ..      ****	    Athabasca University
 ....     ****	    Athabasca, Alberta Canada
..........****	    alberta!auvax

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (01/17/89)

OK, I'll partly contradict you.  You can hook up a COMPOSITE
color monitor (as used with VCRs) to a CoCo I or II after you
install a little circuit adapter inside the Coco that taps into
the video signal and buffers it for "export."  These are available
from some of the advertisers in The Rainbow mag and cost about $20.

BTW, Color Computer users hang out on comp.sys.m6809 mostly.
Post there if any more questions.
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen
"Lawyers are like nuclear bombs and PClones.  Nobody likes them,

donp@bucket.UUCP (Don Park) (01/27/89)

In article <838@auvax.UUCP> tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) writes:
>I have a computer illiterate friend with a colour computer 2 who asked me,
>is it possible to hook some flavour of monitor to a CoCo2?  Hmm?
>
>From looking at the catalog I would say you cannot (although you can use a
>monitor with the CoCo3) but I would be glad to be contradicted.
It is possible to connect a Color Computer Two/One to a monitor
if you look in the Rainbow, there are numerous adds for a hardware
patch to the Coco to hook it up to a monitor.

Hope this helps.
Don Park
ps. You might be better served if you take this to the CoCo NewsGroup
COMP.SYS.M6809

ben@grace.UUCP (Ben Henwood) (01/28/89)

In article <838@auvax.UUCP>, tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) writes:
> I have a computer illiterate friend with a colour computer 2 who asked me,
> is it possible to hook some flavour of monitor to a CoCo2?  Hmm?
>
> From looking at the catalog I would say you cannot (although you can use a
> monitor with the CoCo3) but I would be glad to be contradicted.

I used to own a 64K CoCo.  I bought a product (I don't recall the
manufacturer, but they advertise in Rainbow magazine) that converts
the video output to composite, which is the type of signal that a
video camera usually produces (i.e. it has not been modulated into
the usual TV channel signal).

If you by the adapter board (should be about $35 at most), you can
connect to any composite compatible monitor.  I chose the one
manufactured by Commodore for its Commodore 64.  You could also run
it into a video recorder (VHS or Beta at least) and set the recorder
to CAMERA input, but I'm not sure if you can get the image to
display on the TV -- probably not.

--

Ben Henwood
Applied Physics Laboratory (University of Washington)