[comp.sys.tandy] Memory for Tandy 2000

trent@cat5.CS.WISC.EDU (Scott Trent) (02/01/89)

  I am the owner of a 256K Tandy-2000 and am looking for an additional
256K.  The Local R/S shops tell me it's unavailable.  Any suggestions?

Scott Trent
University of Wisconsin - Madison

trent@garfield.cs.wisc.edu
(perhaps trent@garfield.cs.wisc.edu!cs.wisc.edu)

robert@hemingway.WEITEK.COM (Robert Plamondon) (02/02/89)

In article <2207@puff.cs.wisc.edu> trent@GARFIELD.CS.WISC.EDU (Scott Trent) writes:

>  I am the owner of a 256K Tandy-2000 and am looking for an additional
>256K.  The Local R/S shops tell me it's unavailable.  Any suggestions?

The local RS shops are probably wrong.  Tandy WAS out of them, but
demand was so great -- few things run on a 256k machine any more --
that they did another production run.  With 128k installed, the board
retails for $149.00.

Even if Tandy ran out of the new batch, you should be able to find
used boards. The Radio Shack computer centers used to use 2000s for
order entry, so they often have systems in the back room.  They also
leased a bunch of them, and the leased systems  -- usually with color
graphics and a hard drive -- can be bought cheap.  I bought a
full-dress system for $600, including a color monitor, hard drive,
and Envision Design board.

The trick is finding a knowlegeable person. Call up the Computer
Centers and ask who their Tandy 2000 expert is.  The average Computer
Center clerk is far more likely to know who the expert is than he is
to know the answer to your questions. Ideally, you'll find an expert
who knows other experts and has an idea how much Tandy 2000 stuff
they have. Here in the SF Bay Area all the Computer Centers are in
constant communication, and can scrounge up almost anything.

Envision Designs has a memory upgrade that takes a single external
memory card and puts 640k on it, giving your system a total of 896k
of RAM.  It works quite well, and Envision Designs has been around
for a long time. You can also modify an external RAM board yourself
to hold 512k instead of its normal maximum of 256k. I've done this to
two boards myself.  Finally, I believe that Envision Designs has an
INTERNAL memory board that replaces one of the 128K boards in your
256k machine and brings you up to 896k.  They also have hard disk
kits, floating-point kits, and so on.  Their prices are reasonable,
but nowhere near as good as the surplus prices I've been getting.

Envision Designs
1539 W Pearl St
Pasco WA 99301
(509) 547 1139

	-- Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

tj@ingr.com (T. J. Higgins) (02/02/89)

in article <2207@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, trent@cat5.CS.WISC.EDU (Scott Trent) says:

>   I am the owner of a 256K Tandy-2000 and am looking for an additional
> 256K.  The Local R/S shops tell me it's unavailable.  Any suggestions?

Are you saying the 256K Memory Expansion Card is no longer
available?  If this is a true statement, you may be SOL.  Way back
when, about 1985, I got the Card (but it only comes populated with
128K; another great R/S marketing decision) and then ordered your
standard IBM PC memory expansion chip set (9 chips, I forget the
number), and plugged them in myself.

Also, I seem to remember a company that used to advertise in PCM
that would upgrade a 2000 to 896K.  I think I still have some old
issues, so send me mail if you want more info.

> Scott Trent
> University of Wisconsin - Madison

T.J. Higgins		 	uunet!ingr!b17a!i32tjh!tj (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.  M/S IW17A1	b17a!i32tjh!tj@ingr.com   (Internet)
One Madison Industrial Park
Huntsville, AL  35807-4201
(205) 772-7769

earl@trsvax.UUCP (02/04/89)

/* ---------- "Memory for Tandy 2000" ---------- */

  I am the owner of a 256K Tandy-2000 and am looking for an additional
256K.  The Local R/S shops tell me it's unavailable.  Any suggestions?

Scott Trent
University of Wisconsin - Madison

trent@garfield.cs.wisc.edu
(perhaps trent@garfield.cs.wisc.edu!cs.wisc.edu)

   Might I suggest you try calling the Tandy/Radio Shack Terminal Outlet Store
   in Fort Worth, Texas, at 817-654-0337.

   They might be able to help. They get in various surplus things, or lease
   returns and might have a used board in the store they can sell. But you
   might have to check with them several times until they get something in.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way. >

						Earl W. Bollinger
						@ <trsvax!earl>

"You were in the Clone Wars!", said Luke excitedly.
"Yes", replied Obi Wan, "I was a DOS programmer. But that was before the dark
 times, before OS2."