[comp.sys.tandy] Possible bug in MSDOS for 1000SL

bgun@trwind.UUCP (Bill Gunshannon) (01/25/89)

I have discovered what I think is a bug in MSDOS for the 1000SL.
Any confirmation or possible solutions would be appreciated.
Problem:
   Any mode command involving LPT: results in the machine
   hanging. Only a reset will free it.

   Thanks in advance for any help.

   bill gunshannon

   bgun@trwind.ind.trw.com

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (02/01/89)

In article <446@trwind.UUCP>, bgun@trwind.UUCP (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

> I have discovered what I think is a bug in MSDOS for the 1000SL.
>    Any mode command involving LPT: results in the machine
>    hanging. Only a reset will free it.

Shouldn't that be LPT1 or LPT2 (or else PRN:)?  Or was this a typo in
your posting?  I'll try it when I get home to my 1000SL tonight,
though.

Dave Fiske
--
"FLYING ELEPHANTS DROP COW           Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 PIES ON HORRIFIED CROWD!"

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (02/03/89)

In article <5371@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) writes:
> In article <446@trwind.UUCP>, bgun@trwind.UUCP (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
> >
> > I have discovered what I think is a bug in MSDOS for the 1000SL.
> >    Any mode command involving LPT: results in the machine
> >    hanging. Only a reset will free it.
>
> Shouldn't that be LPT1 or LPT2 (or else PRN:)?  Or was this a typo in
> your posting?  I'll try it when I get home to my 1000SL tonight,
> though.

OK, I tried it, and I see what you mean.  I tried lots of variations of
CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, but it always stalled.  The only
thing I can think of is that it wants a printer driver file (the
"booklet" explaining the DOS commands makes mention, under MODE LFOFF,
of a Lpdrvr.sys file, which isn't on any of the disks).   There are
some printer drivers scattered around on the disks, but they all start
with "DM", so I assume they're tailored to work with Deskmate.  I looked
quickly in the DOS book I bought at a bookstore, but it looked like the
MODE LPTn stuff should be pretty straightforward.

Maybe somebody from Tandy has come clues.
--
"FLYING ELEPHANTS DROP COW           Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 PIES ON HORRIFIED CROWD!"
                                     Home:  David_A_Fiske@cup.portal.com
Headline from Weekly World News             CIS: 75415,163  GEnie: davef

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (02/07/89)

Yes indeed, there is a bug in the 1000SL MODE command.  As with all of my
postings, this information can be obtained by contacting Radio Shack
Customer Service (If they don't know the answer, they can usually find it).

MODE LPT1:Anything hangs up the system.  This bug is patchable ----

PATCH MODE.COM,1C97,FE,3E

At least a million pardons are begged, but the above should fix you up.
This is being fixed on all later DOS releases.

The above information is being provided by me, and is subject to my personal
knack for getting things not quite right.  Tandy is nice enough to employ me,
but they aren't responsible for what I post here.

					     John Reynolds
					     DeskMate Type Programmer
					     Tandy R&D in beautiful Ft.Wuth