[comp.sys.tandy] Dying Model IV...can it be saved?

TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco) (03/27/89)

After 5 years of service (without ANY manufacturer service), I really
think my TRS-80 Model IV is about to "bite the dust".  I'd like to
repair it, as long as the problem isn't too costly.  This is what
happens:

After being used for
about 1/2 hour in either Model III or IV mode, the screen gets large,
the cassette switch (I guess it's a relay) clicks, and the machine
resets.  If I allow it to rest for about 2 minutes, it decides to run
fine again.  This just started to happen about 1-2 weeks ago...

Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem
might be?  Should I get rid of it?  Any help is greatly appreciated...

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (04/01/89)

<>
Sounds like your Model 4 has a "Tandy" power supply that is going bad.
At one point in the manufacturing life of the Model 4, someone at the factory
was using "Locktite" to secure a voltage-adgust pot.  Great, but the solvent
in that compound eventually eats the carbon out of the pot, causing wild
voltage fluctuations after the machine has been on a while.

Replace that power supply with a real "Aztec".  Both types are clearly marked,
but you can tell the difference by checking the switching transistor.   If it
is a TO3 can configuration, you have an Aztec.  If it is mounted on a
"stand-up" heatsink, you have a "Tandy" supply.   These supplies can be
obtained through National parts.  They were also used in external primary
hard disk drives.  (65watt)

<My opinion, and not that of my employer.>

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...sys1!hal6000!trsvax!uhclem

wilso_d@cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson) (04/01/89)

In article <77815TRM900@PSUVM> TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco) writes:
>After being used for
>about 1/2 hour in either Model III or IV mode, the screen gets large,
>the cassette switch (I guess it's a relay) clicks, and the machine
>resets.  If I allow it to rest for about 2 minutes, it decides to run
>fine again.  This just started to happen about 1-2 weeks ago...
>
>Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem
>might be?  Should I get rid of it?  Any help is greatly appreciated...

I wouldn't get rid of it, but you might try checking out your power supply.
Radio Shack would probably charge WAY too much to look at it, so if you can
find someone locally (at a users group) that could look it over, it would
be better.  I had a similar problem about a week ago - the system kept
booting, and Cassette basic was non existent.  I finally traced it to the
model 4 speaker connection, which SUDDENLY (??) decided to go bad - a few
times plugging it in/unplugging it cleared up the problem.

...dewitte

--
DeWitte Wilson <wilso_d@cs.odu.edu>                 Old Dominion University
Sysop - The Mod III BBS                        804-424-1215 [300=>2400] 8N1

gmadison@pnet02.cts.com (George Madison) (04/01/89)

TRM900@PSUVM.BITNET (Tony R. Marasco) writes:

>After being used for
>about 1/2 hour in either Model III or IV mode, the screen gets large,
>the cassette switch (I guess it's a relay) clicks, and the machine
>resets.  If I allow it to rest for about 2 minutes, it decides to run
>fine again.  This just started to happen about 1-2 weeks ago...

Sounds like a power supply problem; that's a noted weak point in a lot of
Model 4's.  What you want is an ASTEC 65w power supply; I was able to pick up
a spare for $20 or so, though they may be more now.  If you don't mind
diddling the insides of your machine, you might look into this.  If you *DO*
mind, and your local Tandy tech center has a decent reputation, give them a
try.  If you're still happy with your 4 after 5 years, there's no reason to
give up on it now for what seems to be a fairly easily fixed problem

|George Madison, a/k/a George The Bear Cub, a/k/a Furr     ** BEAR POWER **|
|INET: gmadison@pnet02.cts.com   8-{)>   ames!elroy!pnet02.cts.com!gmadison|
|GEnie: GEORGE.M     Arctophiles & Barbophiles Unite!     PLink: BEARDLOVER|

"He's the lonely fear of dying, and for some, of living too;
 He's your private nightmare pricking, he'd just love to turn the screw
 So stand as one defiant -- yes, and let your voices swell
 Stare that Beastie in the face and really give him Hell."
                                               --- "Beastie" by Jethro Tull