[comp.sys.tandy] T1000 SL Self-booting disk problem

The-Tree@cup.portal.com (Paul The-Tree Baum) (03/26/89)

My brother recently purchased a Tandy 1000 SL. It will not boot
up self-booting disks, it just goes to Deskmate. The RS sales
person wasn't able to help. Can anyone else? Thanks in advance.
The-Tree @cup.Portal  (Paul Baum)

dmuntz@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dan Muntz) (03/27/89)

In article <16225@cup.portal.com> The-Tree@cup.portal.com (Paul The-Tree Baum) writes:
>My brother recently purchased a Tandy 1000 SL. It will not boot
>up self-booting disks, it just goes to Deskmate. The RS sales
>person wasn't able to help. Can anyone else? Thanks in advance.
>The-Tree @cup.Portal  (Paul Baum)

On the MS-DOS (or the supplemental disk) there is a program called setupsl.
It allows you to reconfigure the SL to boot from a drive instead of ROM or
to boot MS-DOS instead of Deskmate (among other things).

  -Dan M.

root@gsy1.UUCP (Scott Yates N4BBB) (03/28/89)

In article <16225@cup.portal.com>, The-Tree@cup.portal.com (Paul The-Tree Baum) writes:
> My brother recently purchased a Tandy 1000 SL. It will not boot
> up self-booting disks, it just goes to Deskmate. The RS sales
> person wasn't able to help. Can anyone else? Thanks in advance.
> The-Tree @cup.Portal  (Paul Baum)

Just run the SetupSL program on the MS dos disk. This allows
you to select the boot device (rom or disk,) where to find autoexec
and config files, etc. For more extensive option controls, try
setupsl /a for MANY screen of stored parameters, and setupsl /f
restores all factory params, just as does f10 while in setup.
Hope this helps

--
Scott Yates, N4BBB    o    o    DOMAIN: gsy@gsy1.UUCP  ||  gsy@raider.UUCP
Yates Pest Control     \  /     UUCP: ...!{ames,rutgers}!killer!mjbtn!gsy1!gsy

bevans@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Brian Evans) (04/01/89)

In article <16225@cup.portal.com> The-Tree@cup.portal.com (Paul The-Tree Baum) writes:
>My brother recently purchased a Tandy 1000 SL. It will not boot
>up self-booting disks, it just goes to Deskmate. The RS sales
>person wasn't able to help. Can anyone else? Thanks in advance.
>The-Tree @cup.Portal  (Paul Baum)

I have a TX so this may not apply to the SL:

On your DOS disks, you should have a program called SETUPTL.COM.
If you run this program (either by activating it from DeskMate
or from quitting DeskMate and running it from DOS) you will have
a menu of what the computer needs to do when it starts up.  i.e.
start from ROM or disk, run DeskMate or DOS, where is drive A
located (if you have more than one floppy drive), etc.  Make the
appropriate corrections (in this case, changing the start-time
application from ROM to disk and to tell it not to run DeskMate),
save to the EEPROMS and reboot.  Everything should work fine.

--
Brian Evans			    "In any formula, constants (especially
bevans@hmcvax.bitnet		     those obtained from engineering

The-Tree@cup.portal.com (Paul The-Tree Baum) (04/02/89)

Thanks to all for the help. It is indeed the setup program that he
needed to run. At this point, tho, I should kick his butt for not
thoroughly reading the manual.:-) Thanks again.
The-Tree (Paul Baum) @cup.portal