[comp.sys.tandy] Where to get docs for uucp installation

jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Bowden) (03/24/89)

SYSTEM:  Tandy 6000hd, Xenix 3.0, dev kit v1.3.x

I am trying to set up a uucp node.  I have someone who is willing to give me
a feed provided he doesn't have to do any actual work (i.e. I must give him
explicit instructions for what needs to be done).  The connection is to
be via modem, probably passing through a micom switch.

The problem is that the only docs for uucp that came with then 6000 dev. kit
are the man pages for uucp, uux, etc...  Does anyone know where I can
buy/read/ftp docs on installing uucp?

Send mail I'll summarize.
--
"Use the Source Luke."

pete@ittg.UUCP (2301) (03/24/89)

In article <JEFFB.89Mar23142814@grace.cs.washington.edu> jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Bowden) writes:
>I am trying to set up a uucp node.  I have someone who is willing to give me
>a feed provided he doesn't have to do any actual work (i.e. I must give him
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Highly unlikely, that he will not /

>explicit instructions for what needs to be done).  The connection is to
>be via modem, probably passing through a micom switch.
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     My recommendation will not cover /

>The problem is that the only docs for uucp that came with then 6000 dev. kit
>are the man pages for uucp, uux, etc...  Does anyone know where I can
>buy/read/ftp docs on installing uucp?

I have found an excellant book that gives specifics on HDB and standard
uucp connections, files, and quirks.  I refer to it constantly.  I
purchased it from:

Uni-Ops Books
195 Mountain View Road
Boonville, Cal  95415-0650
(707) 895-2050

The Book is:

UNIX Communications
Bart Anderson, Bryan Costales, & Harry Henderson
I see a list price in an old catalog of
$26.95

Good Luck,

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (03/25/89)

In article <JEFFB.89Mar23142814@grace.cs.washington.edu> jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Bowden) writes:
>The problem is that the only docs for uucp that came with then 6000 dev. kit
>are the man pages for uucp, uux, etc...  Does anyone know where I can
>buy/read/ftp docs on installing uucp?

I can warmly recommend the book from "O'Reilly & Associates, Inc / 981 Chestnut
St. / Newton, MA 02159" - it's called "Managing UUCP and Usenet - A Nutshell
Handbook".
The book is superb and has covered every problem I run into.
It covers of course all major uucp releases such as Version 2, HDB (BNU),
BSD 4.x and BSD 4.3.

Hope this helps.

-Axel
--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (03/26/89)

In article <1043@ittg.UUCP> pete@ittg.UUCP
(System Administrator @ 207-796-2301) recommends:
>In article <JEFFB.89Mar23142814@grace.cs.washington.edu>
jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Bowden) writes:
>>I am trying to set up a uucp node.  [I need source material]
>
>UNIX Communications
>Bart Anderson, Bryan Costales, & Harry Henderson

A good book, and to be reccomended.  For some more technical help,
try "Managing UUCP and Usenet" by O'Reilly & Associates, A Nutshell
Handbook.

O'Reilly & Associates phone number is 1-800-338-NUTS.

This book came to use when we got our UUNET feed and it was VERY
helpful.
--
* Robert J Woodhead * The true meaning of life is cunningly encrypted and *
* uunet!biar!trebor * hidden somewhere in this signature...               *

mikes@ncoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (04/04/89)

1.  Make sure that you're running XENIX 3.2.  There have been fixes/
    improvements to getty and there is info on setting up the dialers
    that is found only in the OS manuals.

2.  Fix your L-devices file; default is for a Tandy modem, there is an
    example in the XENIX user's manual (the one that comes with the run-time
    system, not the development system).

3.  If you want to use a 9600 bps modem, you'll have to switch to one of
    the pd getty.c's as the TB+ won't work on my system with the 6000
    port locked to 9600.  If you will only be dialing out this is not a
    problem.

4.  If you can get a copy of /usr/lib/uucp/uucico that comes with the
    3.2 development system (now in beta test).  It fixes the -x9 bug
    (no debugging information until after startup with the one in the
    3.0 development system.

5.  If you are not using the Tandy modem rm /usr/lib/uucp/dial and link
    the appropriate dialer.  I use the "dial.c" as a template and have
    it working with a Paradyne FDX 2400, a USR HST 9600, a Telebit TB+,
    and a USR Dual mode.  9600 is max, but uucp runs at 850-900 bytes/sec
    using a TB+ and protocol spoofing.

6.  At this point cu.s3 should work; if it doesn't then (1) the port is
    not disabled (2) L-devices is wrong (3) dialer is wrong.  It is difficult
    to fix this if you don't have the new uucico.

7.  Create an L.sys entry for each system that you wish to send mail/files
    to.  XENIX uucp will accept anonymous uucp access if you leave the
    "uucp" entry in /etc/passwd.

8.  Use "uucico -r1 -S<system> -x9" to test the link; system should dial out,
    connect, any mail/files waiting should be collected.

9.  You will need scripts to control polling, to remove /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE
    when you run out of disk space, etc.  Several sites near me have netnews
    2.11 running; I have 2.10.

There are obviously many other issues, but the information above should help
get uucp running.  If anyone needs more help, scripts, etc., send mail to
me at sir-alan!mikes@uunet.uu.net (RS 6000, XENIX 3.2, TB+ running at
9600 used bi-directionally).

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 332 3347
uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes}
      or ..!{pitt,uunet}!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Internet: sir-alan!mikes@uunet.uu.net or mikes@NCoast.ORG