[comp.sys.tandy] More Hard Card Problems...

mwh5795@ultb.UUCP (M.W. Houwers) (04/06/89)

Well, I'm back.   If anyone remembers, I had the problem with the 20 Meg
Tandy hard card a while back.  I went to the area Radio Shack, and they sent
the drive out to be fixed.  When it came back, they said that they fixed
a bad connection on the controller.  As before, everything went well for a
week, then it started to give me the infamous "1701" or controller error.
(For those who don't remember, I have a Tandy 1000SX, 2 5-1/4" 360K floppies,
an internal 1200-baud modem, 640K memory).

Now that the problem is recurring with a supposedly fixed hard card, I am
wondering if the problem might lie with the power source (i.e. - not enough
to run everything).  I have talked to some other people and they mentioned that
this could be a source of the problem.

Anyone out there have any pointers or other ideas?  I've reseated the
drive to no avail.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Houwers
Mike Houwers                        "See the man with the lonely eyes,
bitnet:  MWH5795@RITVAXA             Take his hand, you'll be surprised"
uucp:    ...ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!rochester!rit!ultb!mwh5795
           or "      "     "      "     !ritcv!mxh5795

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (04/09/89)

In article <602@ultb.UUCP> mwh5795@ultb.UUCP (M.W. Houwers (713ICS)) writes:
>Well, I'm back.   If anyone remembers, I had the problem with the 20 Meg
>Tandy hard card a while back.  I went to the area Radio Shack, and they sent
>the drive out to be fixed.  When it came back, they said that they fixed
>a bad connection on the controller.  As before, everything went well for a
>week, then it started to give me the infamous "1701" or controller error.
>(For those who don't remember, I have a Tandy 1000SX, 2 5-1/4" 360K floppies,
>an internal 1200-baud modem, 640K memory).

Ahh yes!  the infamous "1701" error.  Thats a controller timeout error
message.  Basically it means that the system cannot communicate with the
hard disk controller.

In 99% of the cases that I have experianced it is related to a "crapped"
out controller board.

Since the hard dive is generally ok, tell the Tandy folks to replace the
controller card itself.

Noel

--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com