[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy's Latest Incompatibility

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (04/13/89)

Well, I have fallen victim to the latest incompatibility in the Tandy 1000A.
Upon getting QuickC 2.0 I discovered that the colors come up in the most
obnoxious combination possible... and only on the Tandy 1000!

The scroll bars are a light magenta, the text area is bright green, and
the text itself is dark green... it's enough to make you puke!

I called MS support this morning and they told me they are getting a rash
of calls, but can not duplicate the problem on their newer 1000's...
Lucky them!

I wonder if Ralph Nader would be interested in attempting to get Dandy Tandy
to recall these turkeys!!!!

			   - Joe Applegate -

    ======================STANDARD DISCLAIMER============================
     All views and opinions are my own and do not represent the views or
     opinions of the Colorado School of Mines, whatever they might be.

yang1@ntvax.UUCP (cqyang class) (04/16/89)

     If you are using a Tandy 1000A (like it is about 5 years old) the
problem is that its system memory for the video is layed out like a PCjr's.
Nothing that is designed to use and vanilla ega, vga or possibly a cga card
will work in a Tandy. Your compiler may be expecting a standard IBM video
card. The newer Tandys have the correct set up for their video. If your
compiler says it is to work with an old Tandy 1000, then I do not know what
the problem may be, but my guess is the compiler is expecting a standard IBM
or clone.

*                                          * This field left blank on      *
*     Jim Stinson  yang1@dept.csci.unt.edu *   purpose.                    *
*                                          *      (sort of)                *
To: japplega@csm9a.UUCP
Subject: Re: Tandy's Latest Incompatibility
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Bcc:

mtnman@bgsuvax.UUCP (Mark rosenberg) (04/18/89)

******     HELP !!!!!!     ***************

I hope that somebody out there can help me
It seems that my 1000EX has a problem with a video ram chip.
When I run programs like Lotus (lately) my screen flickers with any cursor
movement.  I called the local TRS technician and he diagnosed the problem
as to what I have just described.  My problem is how do I locate the bad chip
and if it is a bad chip then why when I boot up the machine it says 640 ram OK.
This problem does not happen with graphics programs like surfer or flight
simulator so I really don't understand why this is happening.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Mark Rosenberg