[comp.sys.tandy] BBS Program Wanted

tbear@ozdaltx.UUCP (Teddy Bear - Alpha Delta House:) (02/23/88)

I am trying to locate a BBS Program that will run on a Radio Shack
Color Computer 2 or Coco 3.  I have both machines and they have 4
drives each.  I haven't seen too many programs listed for these systems
and I would appreciate any information on BBS Systems available and
how to obtain them.  There was a program in RAINBOW a couple of montha
ago, but it didn't have the serial port driver in it.  Please send

    tbear                         ***    Brad Pruden
    Oz BBS                        ***    P.O. Box 5516
    Dallas, Tx                    ***    Ft. Worth, Tx.
                                  ***    76108
                                  ***    (817) 498-7443
                                  ***    <D/FW metro #>

Any help or suggestions are welcome, and I'm sorry about the multiple
posts.  I wasn't sure how to get this out where it would get the most

                          tbear

       <Brad>

GWilkins@cup.portal.com (Gregory J Wilkins) (04/13/89)

I am looking for a BBS program that is full featured, and
very good (like Magpie, XBBS) for the Tandy 6000 running
Xenix version 3.1.0???

  Does anyone have one....I think UNaXess is suppose to be good,
does someone have a version of this out there, or is there a
better program????

  I am running Magpie, but it seems as though Magpie does not like
to work real well on my system, as it hangsup on any user after
they fininsh a File Transfer????

Your help is needed!!!

-Greg Wilkins
gwilkins@cup.portal.com

ejm@midian.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) (04/15/89)

> In article <17101@cup.portal.com>
> GWilkins@cup.portal.com (Gregory J Wilkins) writes:
> I am looking for a BBS program that is full featured, and
> very good (like Magpie, XBBS) for the Tandy 6000 running
> Xenix version 3.1.0???

I also am looking for such a beast. I've had much trouble porting
XBBS to the tandy. Seems that the development system is not even
close to that used on other xenix products for 286 and 386 machines.

E.J. McKernan - Midian Electronics - Tucson, AZ
	uucp: ...!uunet!arizona!midian!ejm

tif@cpe.UUCP (04/21/89)

Written  9:30 am  Apr 20, 1989 by ccicpg.UUCP!paulm in cpe:comp.sys.tandy
>I recently picked up a Tandy TRS-80 Model 4 computer for really cheap.
>The problem is that it didn't come with ANY software, not even a DOS diskette.

What you really want is LSI-DOS 6.3.  You could go to Logical Systems for it
but I don't know what they'll want for it.  I really don't believe that
you can't get TRSDOS 6.2.  Maybe your salesman is asleep.  The catalog number
for TRSDOS 6 is 26-0316 and the upgrade to LSI-DOS 6.3 is 70-2297.  My listings
show both as still available.

P.S.	TRSDOS 6.2 works pretty well but it thinks the world ended on 12/31/87

<I disclaim everything, ask if you need a more specific disclaimer.>
<Does anybody know what a court would think of my style disclaimer?>

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif

In article <136500016@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP writes:

>Written  9:30 am  Apr 20, 1989 by ccicpg.UUCP!paulm in cpe:comp.sys.tandy
>>I recently picked up a Tandy TRS-80 Model 4 computer for really cheap.
>>The problem is that it didn't come with ANY software, not even a DOS diskette.
>
>What you really want is LSI-DOS 6.3.  You could go to Logical Systems for it
>but I don't know what they'll want for it.  I really don't believe that
>you can't get TRSDOS 6.2.  Maybe your salesman is asleep.  The catalog number
>for TRSDOS 6 is 26-0316 and the upgrade to LSI-DOS 6.3 is 70-2297.  My listings
>show both as still available.
>
>P.S.	TRSDOS 6.2 works pretty well but it thinks the world ended on 12/31/87

If you want the BBS  for that system get ahold of ERACS, a former product of
mine.  I used to sell the thing, but it's now free to the taking on our
system in the files area.

It DOES require a fixed disk for a reasonable system, and comes as 6 disk
images.  Simply download and unpack (unpack program is on our system as
well).

3 disks are program, and other 3 are the docs.  It will run on a floppy
system as long as you have better than 2 single-sided drives (ie: 2 720K's
will work ok, or better).  Runs fantastic on a fixed disk, and can be set up
to use the RAM DISK as well (back bank memory).

In it's time it was one of the most feature-full and powerful systems
available on the market, and as a freebie, it's probably still the best
although we no longer sell or support it.  Source to 90% of it is also on
our system for the asking.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

mikes@brandon.UUCP (Michael L. Squires) (04/24/89)

In article <17101@cup.portal.com>, GWilkins@cup.portal.com (Gregory J Wilkins) writes:
> I am looking for a BBS program that is full featured, and
> very good (like Magpie, XBBS) for the Tandy 6000 running
> Xenix version 3.1.0???

I currently run UNaXcess 1.00.02 under RS 68K XENIX 3.2.  It works well
except for the following:

1.  If the files in the download area are many working through the file
    menu becomes very tedious and user's don't like it at all.

2.  The user interface, although reasonable, is not that used by most MS-DOS
    BBS systems and users don't like that.

3.  Occasionally, for unknown reasons, the files containing information on
    users and the articles they have read are lost.

4.  A utility exists to post netnews articles to UNaXcess message groups.

I have run Citadel/UX 2.24 under RS XENIX 3.2 also.  It works after making
one minor change (originally written under Altos XENIX).  The version I
have does not have good file upload/download capability; that has
apparently been fixed by others (including Robert Barrell, who runs a
Citadel/UX site called "milo" (mail to sir-alan!rbarrell@uunet.uu.net).
Citadel/UX v3.0 is in alpha test at the home site (sir-alan!uncnsrd!root@
uunet.uu.net).

UNaXcess as posted to comp.sources.unix (second version) runs with no
changes.  Citadel/UX 2.24 is available from my XENIX system, but I would
suggest contacting rbarrell first to find what the current version looks
like.

I have not run Magpie but have heard good things about it.

Michael L. Squires  uucp:  ..!{uunet,pitt,daisy}!sir-alan!{brandon!mikes,mikes}
752 Chestnut Street             Internet:  sir-alan!mikes@uunet.uu.net
Meadville, PA 16335                        sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
814 337 5528 (home)               BBS: 814 337 0348 (1200/2400) login of "ubbs"