[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy RAM upgrade

greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) (04/28/89)

A friend wants me to upgrade his Tandy 1000 (SL?) from 384 K to 640 K.  Fine.
All I need is a bank of 41256-15, right?

Now I'm not so sure.  Knowing a little of Tandy's reputation for (non)
compatibles, I decided to give them a call.  Here's what I learned, more
or less in order:

1)  No, you can't use 256 K chips - you need 128 K chips.  Well, I had never
    heard of that, so called my chip supplier.  Yup - they exist.  So I'll
    go ahead and get them.

2)  Called another RS Compter Center.  Nope.  You don't use 128 K chips -
    you need two banks of 64x4 chips (4464)  Huh?  I was under the impression
    that this was used only in video cards.  Plus, two banks of these would
    be 512 K - I only need half that.

3)  <sigh> Yet another call to Tandy - this time to their (not toll-free)
    "Hot-line".  Yup - I need two banks of 4464 chips.  "That'd be eight
    chips, total."  Okay, fine.  No parity and some kinda screwed up
    RAM setup.  But I can still do it for about 1/2 of tandy's price.

Is some (any) of the above on track?  I haven't had a chance to actually
open his machine and look, but really doubt that it uses 64x4 chips for
the main memory.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.
    | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg   CIS: 72261,1724 |

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (04/30/89)

In article <485@dekalb.UUCP> greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) writes:
=>A friend wants me to upgrade his Tandy 1000 (SL?) from 384 K to 640 K.  Fine.
=>All I need is a bank of 41256-15, right?
=>
[...]
=>--
=>    ---------------------------------------------------------
=>    | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg   CIS: 72261,1724 |
=>    ---------------------------------------------------------

Yeah.........?  So what's so wrong with using 2 chips for 64K of memory?  You
have 1 chip for the upper nybble and 1 chip for the lower nybble.  Don't worry,
be happy that it will work.  There's really no problem there, it's just a
little different.  I'd also like to see the sockets use one bit wide chips,
but they aren't.   Oh well.....

garyk@techsup.UUCP (04/30/89)

> /* Written  Apr 28, 1989 by dekalb.UUCP!greg in techsup:comp.sys.tandy */
> /* ---------- "Tandy RAM upgrade" ---------- */
> A friend wants me to upgrade his Tandy 1000 (SL?) from 384 K to 640 K.  Fine.
> I decided to give them a call.  Here's what I learned, more or less in order:
>
> 3)  <sigh> Yet another call to Tandy - this time to their (not toll-free)
>     "Hot-line".  Yup - I need two banks of 4464 chips.  "That'd be eight
>     chips, total."  Okay, fine.

Yes, the correct answer is #3!  But they all do a really nice memory test on
power up!!  4464s would allow a stop at 512K if you only used 4 chips. (but
that is not supported).  This is ONLY true of the 1000SL, BE SURE it is a
1000SL!  A quick test is 256K x 1 RAMs use 16 pin IC sockets.  64K x 4 RAMs
use more pins (18 pins off the top of my head).  I do not recall the acess
time required, i think 120ns would be fine (if not expensive).  Use the
speed of the RAMs in the bank next to the empty sockets as a guide.

>     No parity and some kinda screwed up
>     RAM setup.  But I can still do it for about 1/2 of tandy's price.

None of the 1000 series has used parity.  Screwed up is relative.  I thought
the 8088 was screwed up compared to the 68000.  Although i am beginning to
like the '386.  As a note, the SL uses a 8086.

> Is some (any) of the above on track?  I haven't had a chance to actually
> open his machine and look, but really doubt that it uses 64x4 chips for
> the main memory.

Use the above & look inside if you still have questions.  Also the Technical
Reference manual for the computer is available from Tandy.  It provides some
techie info, schematics, and a parts list.

>     | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg   CIS: 72261,1724 |
> /* End of text from techsup:comp.sys.tandy */

			Gary Kueck
			techsup!garyk