[comp.sys.tandy] Model 4 DS drive question

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (05/22/89)

<>
B>Written 10:05 am  May 18, 1989 by ccicpg.UUCP!paulm in comp.sys.tandy
B>	I got the new 1989 Tandy catalog and it had a Model 4D in it.
B>	I bought a model 4 recently and would like to upgrade it to
B>	model 4D.  My question is this:

B>	   Is the only difference the DOUBLE sided drives ?
	The 4D has a different main logic board than the Model 4.  Most
	noticable differences are that the RS232 connector exits the back
	instead of the bottom, AND the 4D has no wait states, the 4 has one.
	(4D runs at the same computation speed as a 4P.)

B>	   If I put 2 48 tpi (PC XT types) Double sidded drives into
B>	   my model 4 will the disk controller know how to handle it ?
	Yes, although you may have to replace the 34 pin cable to the
	floppy drives.  Check the cable and make sure pin 32 is in all three
	connectors.  If it is there, no problem.  If it has been removed,
	then the cable must be replaced with the one that has pin 32.  (You
	can order the cable used in the 4D if you are unable to get the parts
	needed to make your own.)

B>	   Does TRS-DOS 6.2 or LSI-DOS 6.2/3 know ?
	Yes.  Also all the LDOS 5 series, so you can run 99% of your Model III
	software in double sided-mode.  Only TRSDOS 1.3/1.4 (there is NO 1.5,
	*I* should know) are unable to deal with double-sided drives and treat
	them as single-sided.

B>	other comments...
	TRSDOS 6.2 is obsolete, but you should get one so you have the manuals.
	Then order LS-DOS 6.3 from MISOSYS (you can get it from RS but you
	might as well get it from the manufacturer).  6.3 assumes you have the
	6.2 manuals.  This will bring the system up to date.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way.   So they don't.>

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...sys1!hal6000!trsvax!uhclem

gmadison@pnet02.cts.com (George Madison) (05/24/89)

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:

>B>	   Does TRS-DOS 6.2 or LSI-DOS 6.2/3 know ?
>	Yes.  Also all the LDOS 5 series, so you can run 99% of your Model III
>	software in double sided-mode.  Only TRSDOS 1.3/1.4 (there is NO 1.5,
>	*I* should know) are unable to deal with double-sided drives and treat
>	them as single-sided.

Sorry.... SYSTEM 1.5 is a third-party enhancement package for M3 TRSDOS 1.3.
So technically speaking, you're right, practically speaking you're wrong.

|George Madison, a/k/a George The Bear Cub, a/k/a Furr     ** BEAR POWER **|
|INET: gmadison@pnet02.cts.com   8-{)>   ames!elroy!pnet02.cts.com!gmadison|
|GEnie: GEORGE.M     Arctophiles & Barbophiles Unite!     PLink: BEARDLOVER|

"I knew you were up to something, though I confess I hadn't thought
     of necrophilia."
                       -- Prince Barin to Princess Aura, _Flash Gordon_

danielw@wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) (05/25/89)

In article <193300134@trsvax>, uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:

> B>	   Is the only difference the DOUBLE sided drives ?
> 	The 4D has a different main logic board than the Model 4.  Most
> 	noticable differences are that the RS232 connector exits the back
> 	instead of the bottom, AND the 4D has no wait states, the 4 has one.
> 	(4D runs at the same computation speed as a 4P.)

It is possible to modify your model 4 to run at full 4Mhz 0 wait state like
the 4D does with a simple pin removal from a socket.   I am not sure which
one it is anymore but I am sure I could find it if requested.  I just
had to pull an IC from a socket, bend out a pin in the corner, and plug
it back in.  The machine became noticably faster.

--
Daniel Wynalda 		| Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham callsign: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc. 	| Network: danielw@wyn386.UUCP ..sharkey!wyn386!danielw