[comp.sys.tandy] O/S for Tandy 6000

nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) (05/16/89)

     I am the proud (hope you recognize sarcasm) owner of a Tandy 6000.
I'm looking for ways to improve the machine to the point of being almost
usable.
     Call it personal preference, but I'm not overly fond of Xenix,
particularly Tandy's incarnation, and I was wondering if anybody knows
of a port of BSD that will run on the Tandy 6000? Dreaming? Yea, I know..
     Next, if that's not possible, how about a streams package?
     How about TCP/IP, NSF, and Ethernet interface?
     Lastly, a wonderful article came out a while back concerning modifying
the hard drive controller by replacing the WD1010 with a WD2010 and making
a small patch to diskutil. Sounds great, if I could find a drive(s) that
will take advantage of the modification. Anyone know of a drive make/model
that has an ST-412 interface, 8 heads, 2048 cylinders (and uses them all)?
     Oh, if you'd like to know what I'm doing with this machine, give
Eskimo North a call at (206) For-Ever, (206) 367-3837. You can send replies
here or to nanook@eskimo.
     I await your replies with great anticipation. Thanks for your
consideration in advance.
     One last detail, if anybody happens to have any 68020 BSD based Unix
boxes you want to unload real reasonable, I'm interested. Tandy has done
so much to deserve my loyalty...

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (05/26/89)

In article <693@rwing.UUCP> nanook@rwing.UUCP (Robert Dinse) writes:
>     I am the proud (hope you recognize sarcasm) owner of a Tandy 6000.
>I'm looking for ways to improve the machine to the point of being almost
>usable.
>     Call it personal preference, but I'm not overly fond of Xenix,
>particularly Tandy's incarnation, and I was wondering if anybody knows
>of a port of BSD that will run on the Tandy 6000? Dreaming? Yea, I know..

>     Lastly, a wonderful article came out a while back concerning modifying
>the hard drive controller by replacing the WD1010 with a WD2010 and making
>a small patch to diskutil. Sounds great, if I could find a drive(s) that
>will take advantage of the modification. Anyone know of a drive make/model
>that has an ST-412 interface, 8 heads, 2048 cylinders (and uses them all)?

I kinda doubt that you're going to push the 6000 that far.

Have you called Bob Snapp? That would be my first suggestion. A lot of
what you read in Frank's article, he (Bob) learned the hard way, bit by
painful bit. If anyone knows the hardware  any better, outside of Ft.
Worth HQ, I'd like to know who that might be.

As for getting more horsepower out of the 6000, may I invite you to join
the TANGENT Forum on CompuServe? Best concentration I know of 6000
mavens.

And I got lots of great useful, productive work out of the 6000 with Tandy
Xenix. Sure, I've now moved on to a 4000 and SCO Xenix, but I don't know
whence your sarcasm. (But of course, acquiring a 1982 machine in 1989...)
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		CIS: 72160,1341		jpr@jpradley.UUCP