[comp.sys.tandy] Model 4, DMP400 and 286/20

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) (06/10/89)

Well, I recently *downgraded* from my AWESOME 128K, 15meg Model 4 system to
a 286/20MHz AT.

With such niceties as a time-dependent screen-blanker, an ECI that operates
a complete menu-driven system and more, this Model 4 only lacks speed and
VGA to make it the equal of this AT.

I also have a big ol' DMP-400 business printer that I bought with the Model
III (one of the last III's left when they discontinued that model).

I'd like to hook the DMP400 up to the AT until I can get a new printer.  (No,
of course I won't get rid of the DMP400.  It'll get hooked back up to the
Model 4 system which is sitting right across the room from the AT.

Can someone give me some ideas on this?  I realize I might never be able to
take advantage of the impressive bit-image graphics this DMP400 produces with
the model 4 (printing .MAC, .HR and other graphics formats), but all I want
is to be able to dump DOC files to the printer.

Is there a readily available cable that will allow me to do this much?  The
stock cable uses an edge-card connector at the CPU end, so that cable is out.
(I think the female DB25 on the AT is LPT1).

So what I'd need is my current cable with a male DB25 on the CPU end.  Is
there a readily available cable that will allow me to hook up this DMP400?

Thanks!

-- Marcus
wordproc@ucf-cs.ucf.edu

andyross@igloo.Scum.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (06/11/89)

In article <1095@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:
>I'd like to hook the DMP400 up to the AT until I can get a new printer.  (No,
>of course I won't get rid of the DMP400.  It'll get hooked back up to the
>Model 4 system which is sitting right across the room from the AT.
>Is there a readily available cable that will allow me to do this much?  The
>stock cable uses an edge-card connector at the CPU end, so that cable is out.
>(I think the female DB25 on the AT is LPT1).
>Thanks!
>-- Marcus

  All you need is a standard IBM PC parallel printer cable. The only change
to the printer will be to change the DIP switches so that CR=CR, not CR=NL.
You'll have to reset this back when you use it with the Model 4.

  I used a DMP-400 with a Tandy 1000 for a while, until the printhead got
clogged up, and like a stupid idiot, I tried to take it apart!! Don't EVER
take apart a printhead!!!!! I bought a DMP-430 as a replacement.

   ...!killer!igloo!andyross
   andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (06/14/89)

Well, all I had to do to hook my DMP-500 up to an XT clone was buy a
"standard" PC type printer cable and flip a couple of DIP switches in
the printer. The switches were in the CR=CR/LF position. I changed it
to CR=CR. (I already had LF=LF, but yours may have LF=CR/LF as a lot
of Tandy printers were setup that way)

As for graphics, if you get a copy of Tandy's MS-DOS, install LF.COM
and GRAPHICS.COM in the AUTOEXEC and you can dump graphics screens
to your printer.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

jar@konkord.UUCP (jar) (06/15/89)

This is my first time posting to usenet, so please, no laughing.

My question is, is it possible to connect a harddrive to a model III or model
IV without buying tandys $500 controller? tandy sells this 500 dollar controller
that connects to the 50 pin io connector on the bottom of the two machines.

I heard that the controller might be a Western digital, or a Xebec hard drive
controller. The Western digital is a model 1000 or model 1002 HDO.

Any info would be great if anyone has tried this, or knows anything about
doing something like this.

thanks

John Roberts

gmadison@pnet02.cts.com (George Madison) (06/16/89)

jar@konkord.UUCP (jar) writes:

>My question is, is it possible to connect a harddrive to a model III or model
>IV without buying tandys $500 controller? tandy sells this 500 dollar controller
>that connects to the 50 pin io connector on the bottom of the two machines.

Certainly.  Misosys is coming out with a complete 20 Meg harddrive package for
the Models III and IV for about $495; controller, case, power supply, cables,
software -- the whole shebang.

MISOSYS
PO Box 239
Sterling, VA  22170
(703)-450-4181 or (800)-MISOSYS (ORDERS ONLY!!!!)

|George Madison, a/k/a George The Bear Cub, a/k/a Furr     ** BEAR POWER **|
|INET: gmadison@pnet02.cts.com   8-{)>   ames!elroy!pnet02.cts.com!gmadison|
|GEnie: GEORGE.M     Arctophiles & Barbophiles Unite!     PLink: BEARDLOVER|

     "...Maybe there's a female spirit trapped in my body, and I don't
      know it 'cause she's a lesbian."  -- Gallagher