[comp.sys.tandy] SMARTWATCH ON 1000SL

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) (06/20/89)

     I recently installed smartwatch on my tandy 1000 SL. The booklet that
came with the chip kept refering me to installing it in ROM.  The book that
came with my computer system indicated a slot for smartwatch to be placed
in.  This slot did not look like it was ROM.  After I installed the chip
the system made a LOUD noise when I booted the system.  I turned off the
system and removed the chip. The system is working fine, but does anyone
know what I did wrong?  I have'nt tried to install it again since this
happened.

Thanks for your help.

| MIKE RAUSTAD  -   ENCORE COMPUTER SYSTEMS - FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA 33313  |
| /\/\ | |/ |_  |_) /\ |  | (_` | /\ | \ |    PHONE: (305)-797-5621          |
|/    \| |\ |_  | \/--\|__| \_) |/--\|_/ |    EMAIL: uunet!gould!mraustad    |
|__"Everybody should believe in something;I believe I'll have another beer."_|

kevin@.UUCP (Kevin Davies) (06/20/89)

In article <2830@infocenter.UUCP>, mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) writes:
>      I recently installed smartwatch on my tandy 1000 SL. The booklet that
> came with the chip kept refering me to installing it in ROM.  The book that
> came with my computer system indicated a slot for smartwatch to be placed
> in.  This slot did not look like it was ROM.
	[problem with booting the system]

The book that came with the computer is the one to go buy.  The booklet
with the Smartwatch was for the older machines (1000,1000A,1000SX...) where
the smartwatch was installed _underneath_ one of the ROMs on the computer.
On the new 1000SL, there is an actual ROM type socket especially for the
Smartwatch to go.

Also, ignore the software that came with the Smartwatch.  If you try
to use them, they will not 'find' it and complain loudly to you.  The
1000SL DOS comes with a new command (forget the name) that handles the
control of the Smartwatch.  This is described in the manual for the 1000SL.

Good luck.

--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!kevin

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (06/21/89)

To my knowledge the SL documentation is correct with regards to the
smartwatch placement.  Was the loaud noise your heard coming from the SL's
speaker?  On my TL I can Hear all sorts of awful noises when I reboot,
which turned out to be amplified noise in the sound circuitry.  I was sure
that my hard card was deep sixing until I turned down the volume knob.

					John Reynolds

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) (06/30/89)

In article <193300144@trsvax>, reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:

> To my knowledge the SL documentation is correct with regards to the
> smartwatch placement.  Was the loaud noise your heard coming from the SL's
> speaker?  On my TL I can Hear all sorts of awful noises when I reboot,
> which turned out to be amplified noise in the sound circuitry.  I was sure
> that my hard card was deep sixing until I turned down the volume knob.
>
> 					John Reynolds

    I am not exactly sure where the noise originated from. A member of
Tandy's support team called me when he read my posting.  It appears that
either the chip or board was bad. I took the chip back and will have
smartwatch installed by a Computer Center at a later date.

    John, I suppose, as you say, noises are ok. However, I don't feel I
would be to comfortable if my computer started "talking back" to me when
I have not told it to do so. :-)  It makes me a little uneasy.