[comp.sys.tandy] Model 4 IO bus

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) (07/01/89)

Why does my Model 4 external drive plug directly into the IO bus if the bus
is not set up for hard drives?

Is the hard drive controller mounted in the hard drive cabinet?

-- Marcus

wilso_d@cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson) (07/03/89)

In article <1148@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU>, wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:

> Why does my Model 4 external drive plug directly into the IO bus if the bus
> is not set up for hard drives?
>
> Is the hard drive controller mounted in the hard drive cabinet?

Yes, there is a hard drive controller mounted in the hard drive case.  The
old five meg drives that radio shack was selling had a Western Digital
(WD-1000) controller in them.  This controller could then operate up
to four hard disks.  The 50 pin bus is an IO bus, and in addition to
running a hard disk controller, you could have things like JoySticks,
Clock Cards and Analog/Digital types of interfaces (including the
Orchestra-90(TM) Synthesizer)

...dewitte
--
DeWitte Wilson <wilso_d@cs.odu.edu>                 Old Dominion University
Sysop - The Mod III BBS                        804-424-1215 [300=>2400] 8N1