[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy add-ons

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) (07/20/89)

/* Written  3:05 pm  Jul 19, 1989 by durham@cme.UUCP in ucf-cs.ucf.edu:comp.sys.tandy */
In article <1189@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU>, wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:

>> Re: Specific references to Tandy in advertisements
>>
>> -- Marcus

> This just isn't true.  Period.  Unless you REALLY know an answer, please do
> not post anything.  The only difference between the SL/TL slots and standard
> PC/XT slots is that maximum length of the card is about 2 inches shorter than
> traditional machines.  Since the hardcard is designed to take the full space
> it is alotted so that it can remain stable inside the computer, it would be
> two inches too long for the tandy, so.... companies have to obviously shorten
> the card simply by moving the drive closer to the controller electronics....
> ... a Tandy SL/TL, and that is with the hard drive/card.  Any 8-bit card will
> go in there, including accelerators and music cards, IO cards, modems...
> W H A T E V E R you want, except maybe the INTEL 386 accelerator, which
> requires the full length.

> One other very important thing...  The TL, a 286 machine, is NOT
> AT compatible in terms of hardware.

You've just listed several differences that Tandy's machines require of add-on
boards.

As I said, apparently Tandy's proprietary motherboards have different bus
addressing OR SOME OTHER TYPE OF DIFFERENCE so that other companies either have
to sell Tandy-compatible items separately or not serve the Tandy owners at all
on the specialized hardware (hard cards, memory boards, etc.).

Period.  Unless you've REALLY read a message, please do not post anything.

-- Marcus