[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 Model 4

jefu@pawl.rpi.edu (Jeffrey Putnam) (07/21/89)

An acquaintance of mine just got a TRS-80 Model 4 on a "permanent loan"
basis.  He intends to use it for his nascent (and struggling) business.
He has a word processor and some other stuff, but would probably benefit
with some (even simple) database and spreadsheet facilities.  I dont
really want to encourage him to spend much money on any of these things
because of his financial situation, and because I think he may eventually
find that this machine is just not what he needs.

So, my questions are:
   1) Is there a shareware or freeware database and/or spreadsheet available?
      If so, where?

   2) I have a modem on my IBM PC clone and can reach ftp sites, and can read
      news and stuff.  Is there any way to talk my machine (or his) into
      constructing compatable disks?  (Im assuming that the disks are
      normally incompatable, which may not even be the case.)

   3) He has no modem at this point.  Is one available that might work for
      him (inexpensively) that might be moved to another machine should he
      decide to upgrade at some point?

   4) How about real word processing?  I mean stuff like newsletter quality.

Thanks...

jeff putnam        --  I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
jefu@pawl.rpi.edu  --  I do not think they will sing to me.

gmadison@pnet02.gryphon.com (George Madison) (07/22/89)

jefu@pawl.rpi.edu (Jeffrey Putnam) writes:
>An acquaintance of mine just got a TRS-80 Model 4 on a "permanent loan"
>
>So, my questions are:
>   1) Is there a shareware or freeware database and/or spreadsheet available?
>      If so, where?

There may be a freeware or shareware database available; the spreadsheet will
be harder.  Check around; you might be able to find a copy of Microsoft
Multiplan available cheap at a Radio Shack clearance sale.  In any case, one
of the *BEST* sources for Model 4 PD/Share/FreeWare is The File Cabinet.  They
are currently moving, so I'll try to find and post the correct address soon.

>   2) I have a modem on my IBM PC clone and can reach ftp sites, and can read
>      news and stuff.  Is there any way to talk my machine (or his) into
>      constructing compatable disks?  (Im assuming that the disks are
>      normally incompatable, which may not even be the case.)

To take these questions one at a time: No, the disk formats are *NOT* directly
compatible, and YES, there is software that can read each other's disks
available commercially.

>   3) He has no modem at this point.  Is one available that might work for
>      him (inexpensively) that might be moved to another machine should he
>      decide to upgrade at some point?

Any modem that can plug into a standard RS-232 port will work with the TRS-80,
presuming his M4 has the RS-232 board installed.  :-)  As for terminal
software, I strongly recommend FastTerm II by Mel Patrick, which is ShareWare.

>   4) How about real word processing?  I mean stuff like newsletter quality.

Hm.  If you want to do lots of fancy fonts, there's DotWriter, with hundreds
and hundreds of different fonts.  (DotWriter was the predecessor of Fontasy
for the IBM world.)  If you're talking just powerful text formatting, I
suggest looking at AllWrite! by ProSoft first, then LeScript by Anitek.
AVOID anything named any variety of "Scripsit".

>Thanks...

You're welcome.  I suggest you look around for TrsLINK, the electronic
magazine, as well as TRSTimes, Computer News 80, and The Misosys Quarterly.
All have info and pointers he might find useful.

|George Madison, a/k/a George The Bear Cub, a/k/a Furr     ** BEAR POWER **|
|gmadison@pnet02.gryphon.com    8-{)>    ames!elroy!gryphon!pnet02!gmadison|
|GEnie: GEORGE.M     Arctophiles & Barbophiles Unite!     PLink: BEARDLOVER|

   Spock: "Lieutenant, put B-Deck on audio."
   Uhura: "If you say so, Mr. Spock sugah!"

wilso_d@cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson) (07/26/89)

In article <6157@rpi.edu>, jefu@pawl.rpi.edu (Jeffrey Putnam) writes:
> So, my questions are:
>    1) Is there a shareware or freeware database and/or spreadsheet available?
>       If so, where?

	As I recall, there are at least several database programs
available, but I cannot speculate on the availability of spreadsheets.
There is a company in California called the File Cabinet which is a
storage house for Model IV software which they mail out much like
Public Domain IBM disks.  All I have is an address, but I'm sure a
phone number is probably available if you were to call information -

The File Cabinet
P.O. Box 322
Van Nuys, CA  91408

They have quite an extensive collection of PD software.  There is also a
BBS called 8/N/1 operating in Florida which is actually a gigantic file
database.  The number is 904-377-1200.

>    2) I have a modem on my IBM PC clone and can reach ftp sites, and can read
>       news and stuff.  Is there any way to talk my machine (or his) into
>       constructing compatable disks?  (Im assuming that the disks are
>       normally incompatable, which may not even be the case.)

	There are a few programs out there that can do just that.  On
the Model IV is one called Hypercross which will read IBM format
disks, and on the IBM there are at least two -

PC Cross Zap - Hypersoft
               P.O. Box 51155
               Raleigh, NC  27609

TRSCross     - Breeze/QSD, Inc.
               Dallas, Texas (?)

You could also go the quick route and use a null modem and comm software
on both systems.

>    3) He has no modem at this point.  Is one available that might work for
>       him (inexpensively) that might be moved to another machine should he
>       decide to upgrade at some point?

	Just about ANY external modem that will work on an IBM will
also work on the Model IV - this means you can upgrade your system and
just buy a new modem cable.

>    4) How about real word processing?  I mean stuff like newsletter quality.

	There is a GREAT package called Allwrite which people are
raving about, there is also a new version of LeScript which has gotten
good reviews.  I believe that Allwrite is available from a company
called ProSoft, not sure about LeScript.

	For more information, try picking up a copy of TrsLink, it is
a monthly electronic magazine for the Trs80 computers (it's available
via ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu in the tandy directory and also on a lot
of the TRS80 bulletin boards).

...dewitte
--
DeWitte Wilson <wilso_d@cs.odu.edu>                 Old Dominion University
CoSysop - The TrashBin BBS (tandy)             804-588-3013 [300=>2400] 8N1

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (07/28/89)

From article <9596@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, by wilso_d@cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson):
> In article <6157@rpi.edu>, jefu@pawl.rpi.edu (Jeffrey Putnam) writes:
>> So, my questions are:
>>    3) He has no modem at this point.  Is one available that might work for
>>       him (inexpensively) that might be moved to another machine should he
>>       decide to upgrade at some point?
>
> 	Just about ANY external modem that will work on an IBM will
> also work on the Model IV - this means you can upgrade your system and
> just buy a new modem cable.

One minor point.  The Model 4 does not necessarily come with an RS232
interface inside.  If you have no modem, you may have no RS232 interface
either, so that may have to be added, not just the cable.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.