[comp.sys.tandy] model4

jeffs@wjvax.UUCP (04/10/87)

    I was wondering if anyone was familiar with type-ahead feature on a
Model 4. Does Model 4 have it? If so, how do I enable it.Does TRSDOS 6.2
support it?

Thanks in advance.

--

            I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

                                              Miles Davis
--------
jeffery siou
...!{ ucbvax!decwrl!qubix, mordor!turtlevax, ihnp4!pesnta}!wjvax!jeffs

the above opinion's expressed are solely those of mine and is not at
all that of wj's or in any way related to wj's(they don't have one).

--

dpz@paul.UUCP (04/12/87)

> From: jeffs@wjvax.UUCP (Jeffery Siou)

>     I was wondering if anyone was familiar with type-ahead feature on a
> Model 4. Does Model 4 have it? If so, how do I enable it.Does TRSDOS 6.2
> support it?

Yupper.  It's been a while since I've had my 4P, but I believe the
DOS command is "system (type="y")" under 6.2.

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu

wchao@topaz.UUCP (04/13/87)

  Regarding the type-ahead feature on TRSDOS 6.2/LS-DOS 6.3, all
you have to do is type in the following command at dos ready:
  system (type=y)
Beware that sometimes it will loose a few characters when the
system is SMOOTH (type: device at dos ready to see all
the active logical devices).

William Chao
ARPA: wchao@blue.rutgers.edu
UUCP: ..!seismo!topaz!wchao

rhealey@ub.D.UMN.EDU.UUCP (04/14/87)

	The typeahead on TRSDOS 6 should be automatic when you boot up.

			-Rob Healey

			rhealey@ub.d.umn.edu

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (04/17/87)

"What's wrong?  Has the little 386 computer got another bug? Awwwwwww."

>    I was wondering if anyone was familiar with type-ahead feature on a
>Model 4. Does Model 4 have it? If so, how do I enable it.Does TRSDOS 6.2
>support it?

The hardware does not actually perform this function.  It is entirely
up to the operating system on the machine to create the illusion of
nice keyboard hardware that has type-ahead.  You know, never do or fix
in hardware what you can cover with software.	:-(

The actual hardware is nothing more than an 8 x 8 grid of switches.
Press one and a data bit is pulled low (later inverted) when a certain
address line goes high (also inverted).  That's why 4P's have such a
hefty cable to the keyboard.  It has at least 16 wires in there, plus
shield!

The LDOS 5.x and LS-DOS 6.3 (also TRSDOS 6.[012]) simply scan the
keyboard every 33.33 msec, and if they find anything, it is
shoved into a local queue, which in 6.2 & 6.3 is up in some leftover
bytes at the end of the video static RAM.  LDOS 5.x uses some space
allocated in the memory allocated by the *KI driver, if you use it.
The driver in ROM does not do typeahead.

Since the keyboard hardware does not provide us with a nice interrupt
or a scan code or anything, it must be polled frequently, and floppy
I/O, or programs that disable interrupts a lot cause type-ahead to
not work.  There are also some prima-dona programs like Superscriptsit
that scan the keyboard themselves, so they may not have a typeahead
that works as well or has the same number of scans per second, etc.

If you have used other operating systems (TRSDOS 1.x, CP/M+ from RS) you
may have noted that typeahead does not work there.  That is why.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any  way.  If  those  guys  had listened to me,  they  would  have
 implemented  debounce  correctly, even  in  typeahead mode.  Oh well.>

						"Thank you, Uh Clem."
						Frank Durda IV
						@ <trsvax!uhclem>

"Now place you hands on the keyboard and say... 'I will not turn too
 many bits on in my 32-bit multiplies again.'  Repeat it 32 times."

mikey@bbimg.UUCP (04/21/87)

Early LDOS had some strange things in the keyboard scan/typeahead.  Originally
the entire keyboard scan was called, which took a lot of time.  Later releases
scanned ALL the lines, i.e., the address selected set ALL 8 address lines
of the keyboard grid and it looked for ANY output on the data lines.  If it
found something, it then went back and did a regular keyboard scan.  This
speeded the OS up a LOT and got rid of a lot of wierd little problems.

				Mike Yetsko
				Boston's Beth Israel Hospital
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

aa4@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Antonio Mladinic) (07/29/89)

I need to read with a PC files (2) writen with profile plus in Model 4.  I know some programs to do that, however I do not like to spend $100.- for a program that I will use one.  Questions:  There is a public domain program to do that?  Some of you like to sell the convert program?

                                        Thanks,

                                               Antonio Mladinic