[comp.sys.tandy] 6000 owners.. What's this?!!!!!

monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Monty) (07/28/89)

Recently in talking to a friend who runs a public access unit site I was
informed that Tandy has sold out it's remaining stock of 6000's to a
Home Shopping Network and there will be no support...
Anybody else heard this nasty one?

Oh.. Also recently had another friend who had 5 6000's in use at his business.
He ordered the 2 meg expansion boards and of the 5 he got 1 that worked.  He got
so upset he sold em all and bought a 386 Unix box.

Anyway... I went ahead and designed my own MMU and for about $5 in parts you
can give youselves 7 meg of mem space... I've had up to 3 meg running myself.
Too bad I can't get the compiler to allocate more space for symbol tables..
I might even be able to compile Omega or Nethack.

	Monty

mikes@nc386.uucp (Mike Squires) (08/03/89)

In article <216@larry.sal.wisc.edu> monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu.UUCP (Monty) writes:

>Recently in talking to a friend who runs a public access unit site I was
>informed that Tandy has sold out it's remaining stock of 6000's to a
>Home Shopping Network and there will be no support...

Some time ago Tandy stopped selling rebuilt parts - only new.  With a supply
of spare boards it's  not difficult keeping one going.

>Oh.. Also recently had another friend who had 5 6000's in use at his business.
>He ordered the 2 meg expansion boards and of the 5 he got 1 that worked.  He got
>so upset he sold em all and bought a 386 Unix box.

There is a second party selling a 4MB board.  They also make a MMU board.

>Anyway... I went ahead and designed my own MMU and for about $5 in parts you
>can give youselves 7 meg of mem space... I've had up to 3 meg running myself.
>Too bad I can't get the compiler to allocate more space for symbol tables..
>I might even be able to compile Omega or Nethack.

How about posting your MMU design? There is also a System V (sort of) development
system in at least beta test.  I've heard a rumor that it's finally for sale
as an upgrade at $200 - anyone else have that rumor?

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (08/03/89)

In article <216@larry.sal.wisc.edu> monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu.UUCP (Monty) writes:

>Recently in talking to a friend who runs a public access unit site I was
>informed that Tandy has sold out it's remaining stock of 6000's to a
>Home Shopping Network and there will be no support...
>Anybody else heard this nasty one?

It was about 4 weeks ago.  $697 each,  15 meg drive, and the 3 port expansion
board.  I didn't see it, but someone saw it and posted it on usenet.

As to support - they have always supported their older machines, but sometimes
it's a bit hard to find someone who knows what you are talking about.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP