[comp.sys.tandy] 6000 /etc/config /etc/master

monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Monty) (08/02/89)

Recently in checking into the ole 6000 manual I dug up config(CP) and
master(F) in the online manual section. Supposed these files are
supposed to exist in the /etc directory.  After doing a long find on
these file I found out they do not exist on my system.  Anybody have a
copy of these files?... Anybody else ever try to find them?
Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Monty

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (08/06/89)

In article <220@larry.sal.wisc.edu> monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu.UUCP (Monty) writes:

>Recently in checking into the ole 6000 manual I dug up config(CP) and
>master(F) in the online manual section. Supposed these files are
>supposed to exist in the /etc directory.  After doing a long find on
>these file I found out they do not exist on my system.  Anybody have a
>copy of these files?... Anybody else ever try to find them?
>Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Well for one thing you are in the wrong directory.  It is /usr/sys/conf
directory, and there are two other important files in the /usr/sys directory.

These files exist if you have installed the Xenix Configuration kit.
(A very well kept secret I think, since almost no one I have mentioned it to
knows about it.) (Part number is 700-3033  for the 3.1 version, and I don't
know if it was ever released for the 3.2 version - perhaps "Uh-Clem" might
know).

You can rebuild (re-link the kernel to give you more buffers, use another swap
device (perhaps a swap only drive ??), and other normally configurable things.

With 3.2 many of the changes can be done with just the cfg command,
withough having to have the configuration kit.

I have my kernels set for user programs up to 768k, instead of the default
256k.  (filePro plus also had a utility to patch the kernel because it needed
a minimum of 320k.  I have had some fP programs that seemed to even  need more
memory.  I have one that the token table is just under 27k long).

(I just checked my other machine, there is only /usr/sys/h and /usr/sys/io on
it.  It is running 3.2, this one is 3.1.  {I have to run 3.1 on this system as
I am using the Snapp Mem Swap 2 Meg RamSwap boards, and it only runs with the
3.1 kernel).

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (08/07/89)

<>
R1>These files exist if you have installed the Xenix Configuration kit.
R1>(A very well kept secret I think, since almost no one I have mentioned it to
R1>knows about it.)

Well, these Merchie(TM)-guys keep saying "but it won't make it run Lotus(TM)",
so they don't waste ad or catalog space on it.

R1>(Part number is 700-3033  for the 3.1 version, and I don't
R1>know if it was ever released for the 3.2 version - perhaps "Uh-Clem" might
R1>know).

I anticipated that question.  The 3.2 config kit is catalog # 700-3043.
The price is $10.  Okay, its actually $9.95!  It's those Merchies(TM) again!

R1>{I have to run 3.1 on this system as I am using the Snapp Mem Swap
R1>2 Meg RamSwap boards, and it only runs with the 3.1 kernel).

So sorry about that.  Of course, if you get 3.2 and a MMU (Tandys or a copy),
that memory can be used as main memory and this will reduce swapping and
boost speed over what a RAM swap could ever get you.

But if you prefer a RAM swap (or can't afford the MMU), would you like a
copy of a ram swap that works on 3.2?

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way.  They don't and won't and if this was Mission Impossible,
 the tape recorder/CD-3 would have blown up on the first character...>

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...sys1!hal6000!trsvax!uhclem

"So when we want to show someone how great MS-Windows *really* is, we
 give them a demonstration.  On the Tandy 2000." - Bill Gates, CotB, Microsoft