[comp.sys.tandy] Model 4 Hard DRIVE?

roberts@wpi.wpi.edu (Barbara Hahn Roberts) (08/07/89)

I hear its possible to connect a hard drive to a model 4. Has anyone
out there done it? If so, did you do RS way? (the $600 way), or
someother way?

I also heard that RS used to OEM a harddrive controller board from
western digital, they called it the WD1000 TB1. (long since gone I hear)

Also, how many people out there have 128k on their 4? RS wants $30 for
a single PAL for the memory upgrade.

Oh, one more question, is it true the 4's memory can be fixed to run
at 0 wait state?

Thanks for any help!

roberts@wpi.wpi.edu (Barbara Hahn Roberts) (08/08/89)

	WANTED: Looking for a harddrive controller for a model 4...

	Anyone out there have a old 4 (or 3) with a harddrive
	controller on it?

	I've heard the alternatives already, butall the ideas I've
	heard are about $300-$500 dollars! (about $300--$500 to
	much!!) I've got a drive for it, just need a controller! Anyone
	 out there?

thanks

gmadison@pnet02.gryphon.com (George Madison) (08/24/89)

roberts@wpi.wpi.edu (Barbara Hahn Roberts) writes:
>I hear its possible to connect a hard drive to a model 4. Has anyone
>out there done it? If so, did you do RS way? (the $600 way), or
>someother way?

Probably the easiest way is to get the hard drive package from Misosys, which
includes case, power supply, controller, host adapter, cables, and a 20MB
Seagate drive for about $495.  Their order line (NOT tech support/questions!)
is 1-800-MISOSYS, and their tech line is (703)-450-4181.

>Also, how many people out there have 128k on their 4? RS wants $30 for
>a single PAL for the memory upgrade.

As I recall, Jameco Electronics used to offer a RAM upgrade kit complete with
the PAL chip; I don't know how much they wanted for it or if they still sell
it.  In any case, GET THE EXTRA RAM!  Once you get used to using it, you'll
wonder how you ever got along without it....!

|George Madison, a/k/a George The Bear Cub, a/k/a Furr     ** BEAR POWER **|
|gmadison@pnet02.gryphon.com    8-{)>    ames!elroy!gryphon!pnet02!gmadison|
|GEnie: GEORGE.M     Arctophiles & Barbophiles Unite!     PLink: BEARDLOVER|

   "I'm just burnin', doin' the Neutron Dance....."
                                                      --- U-2(35)

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/24/89)

Is there SOME reason why this was cross posted to comp.sys.amiga???

		- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com