[comp.sys.tandy] Expansion Board Needed for Tandy 2000 Computer

roy@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Herbert Roy) (08/23/89)

Hello,

   A friend has an old Tandy 2000 computer with 256K of memory--which
places a restriction on programs with a larger memory requirement (such as
Framework).   Radio Shack no longer supports this computer.

   Does anyone know where an expansion board can be purchased to increase
the memory to between 256K and 384K?

   Thank you for any help you can provide.

Herbert Roy
Rutgers - The State University of NJ
email address : hroy@zodiac.rutgers.edu
                or
                roy@elbereth.rutgers.edu

robert@hemingway.WEITEK.COM (Robert Plamondon) (08/23/89)

In article <Aug.22.19.24.47.1989.10407@elbereth.rutgers.edu> roy@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Herbert Roy) writes:
>   A friend has an old Tandy 2000 computer with 256K of memory--which
>places a restriction on programs with a larger memory requirement (such as
>Framework).   Radio Shack no longer supports this computer.
>
>   Does anyone know where an expansion board can be purchased to increase
>the memory to between 256K and 384K?

In spite of persistent rumors, it is *not* *true* that the Tandy 2000
is unsupported.  They'll still fix broken machines, and they still
have many expansion boards in stock.  A year ago, I specifically
checked on memory boards, and they had made a new run of boards which
they were selling for $125 each, with 128kB on board (that is,
half-populated.) They did this specifically to support users, like
your friend, who needed more system memory.

If you can find someone who knows what he's doing -- call up the
local stores and ask for their "Tandy 2000 expert" until someone
claims to be one -- you can usually find all sorts of unsold
inventory and lease returns in the back rooms of local Radio shacks.
The going rate for a clean hard disk machine with color and graphics
is about $300-$600, the high price going for machines that are bundled
with things like AutoCad.  You can sometimes get the machines for
free, if you find an ex-user who wants to give his machine a good
home.

There is a Tandy 2000 User's Group called the Tandy 200 Orphans, which
published a newsletter called WHIMPER.  This newsletter contains
classified ads for Tandy 2000 hardware, articles about finding more,
helpful hints, and vitriolic editorials (but it's the only newsletter
we've got, so what the hey.)

You can get a sample copy free: Tandy 2000 Orphans, 387 Main,
Westport CT 06880.

	-- Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

jarockle@uokmax.UUCP (Jack Albert Rockley Jr) (09/01/89)

I will take this quick moment to say "yes, I am new to this group", I am a Tandy
fan from way back, and been a salesman for RS for the summer and this semester.
Anything I say will be from my own opinions and not that of RS, but may
help you get the information you need.

In article <795@hemingway.WEITEK.COM> robert@hemingway.WEITEK.COM (Robert Plamondon) writes:
>In article <Aug.22.19.24.47.1989.10407@elbereth.rutgers.edu> roy@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Herbert Roy) writes:
>>Framework).   Radio Shack no longer supports this computer.

>In spite of persistent rumors, it is *not* *true* that the Tandy 2000
>is unsupported.  They'll still fix broken machines, and they still
>have many expansion boards in stock.  A year ago, I specifically

Don't believe the rumors, RS still supports the machines that they made and
distributed.  I know, unless in our sales meeting we have been lied to. Try
to find your local RS Computer Center, they should be in your phonebook. Give
them a try, they should have the parts or tell you were to go to get it.  If
you can't find a RSCC then call your local RS dealer and ask him for the phone
number where they can be reached.  Most RS's have a list of all stores in the
area, misc. work phone numbers, plus the RSCC nearby.  If they say they don't
have one nearby, ask them where they send the computers for maintainance.  That
should give you an idea where the nearest one is at.

>If you can find someone who knows what he's doing -- call up the
>local stores and ask for their "Tandy 2000 expert" until someone
>claims to be one -- you can usually find all sorts of unsold
>inventory and lease returns in the back rooms of local Radio shacks.

Your best bet would try to find a store where the manager or salesman have
been with the company for awhile.  They should know where a Tandy 2000 expert
is.  I know our back room is pretty well up-to-date, but they may have some
in the warehouse for your region.  If so the computer center would have that
information.

- Jack Jr.

  These are my opinions and neither that of the Univ. of Oklahoma or RS so
           please don't get mad at them for my opinions. 8-)