[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 Model VI Printer prints doub

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (09/14/89)

<>
B>    I have a TRS-80 Line Printer VI that I now have hooked
B>up to my Laser XT with the standard Centronics printer cable.
B>Everything works fine except for one thing... Everything it
B>prints is double spaced (2 printed line feeds at each line of
B>single spaced text).  Is there a remedy for this problem? I have
B>looked at the printer controls and do not see a switch to control
B>line spacing, so I am at odds as what to do at this point.

There are switches located inside the LPVI and other LP series printers
that turn them from a Radio Shack printer into an "everybody else"
printer.  Note that this was "everybody else in 1981", so it doesn't
get you IBM graphics characters, but you can solve the problem
you describe, and even get more of the ASCII set to come out right.

On the main logic near where the printer cable plugs into the printer,
you will find four switches.

The switches are:

	1.	Self test - when CLOSED and the printer is offline, it
		will print a test pattern until the printer is turned
		off or the printer is placed online.  Normally OPEN.

	2.	CR=CR / CR=CR+LF.  When OPEN, CR becomes CR + LF (RS Mode).
		When CLOSED, it becomes only CR (no linefeed).  When
		closed during self test, no printing is performed, the
		carriage only moves in a left-right direction; used for
		burn-in after being lubricated.

	3.	Only useful if switch 2 is OPEN.  When OPEN, all CR codes
		received after the initial CR code or LF code are disregarded.
		When CLOSED, CR=CR+LF. (See 2.)

	4.	Changes the characters printed by the ASCII codes 0x5b - 0x5f.
				OPEN		CLOSED
			0x5b	[		(uparrow)
			0x5c	\		(downarrow)
			0x5d	]		(leftarrow)
			0x5e	^		(rightarrow)
			0x5f	(leftarrow)	_

Reference:	LPVI Service Manual.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way.   Of course they are probably unhappy that an obsolete
 printer has magically been unobsoleted.>

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...hal6000!trsvax!uhclem

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (09/16/89)

In article <193300174@trsvax> uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:

|<>
|B>    I have a TRS-80 Line Printer VI that I now have hooked
|
|There are switches located inside the LPVI and other LP series printers
|that turn them from a Radio Shack printer into an "everybody else"
|printer.
How about the DMP series?  I have a DMP-110, which I would like to use
on my IBM, but it double-spaces everything.  It also always went into
selftest mode until I cut line 36. :-)  I'm pretty sure there aren't any
configuration switches in the printer, but there might be a signal on the
connector that I can switch -- when connected through a print buffer (don't
remember the brand; this was about 2 years ago) it worked perfectly.  I
tend to remember pin 14 from my model I interface with Epson MX-80, is
it the same thing with this?

  Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | aaaaaaaaa