[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 1000A graphics compatibility...

KUDLACEK@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/17/89)

**************************************

Does anyone out there know if it is possible for the Tandy 1000A
to emulate IBM EGA graphics. Doesn't the Tandy have EGA capability?
Specifically, I purchased Allocade's golf program which supports
EGA graphics, but when I try to run it in the EGA mode the screen
goes blank... (I think -- it doesn't work anyway..) So - I am stuck
using the shitty three color blue pink white (or whatever) standard low
grade IBM color graphics mode - what a waste!!
Is there a DOS command or something to make my machine compatible??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks -
Kale

bevans@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Brian Evans) (09/18/89)

The Tandy 1000* is not base compatible with EGA.  I doubt the
1000A would have EGA graphics as it was originally to be a
PCjr clone.  The present Tandy 1000*'s are MCGA compatible
(I know MY 1000TL isn't EGA compatible.)

--
Brian Evans			    "It has been scientifically proven
bevans@hmcvax.bitnet		     that scientists cause cancer in

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (09/19/89)

In article <11752@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> KUDLACEK@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Does anyone out there know if it is possible for the Tandy 1000A
>to emulate IBM EGA graphics. Doesn't the Tandy have EGA capability?
>Specifically, I purchased Allocade's golf program which supports
>EGA graphics, but when I try to run it in the EGA mode the screen
>goes blank... (I think -- it doesn't work anyway..) So - I am stuck
>using the shitty three color blue pink white (or whatever) standard low
>grade IBM color graphics mode - what a waste!!
>Is there a DOS command or something to make my machine compatible??
>Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!
>Kale

  The Tandy 1000's built-in graphics is not EGA compatible. It is CGA
compatible with enhancements. Although the 1000 has a 320x200x16 mode like
the EGA, it works differently, and uses a different mode number.  Many (if
not most) games produced recently support the Tandy 1000 in the 16 color
mode. Are you sure the game doesn't already support the 1000? I've used
Accolades Grand Prix Circuit and Test Drive II: The Duel in Tandy mode, and
they work great (although TD2 really needs the '286 of the TX/TL to work
best.)
  I have a 1000SX, and just recently upgraded to VGA. (Paradise VGA+ and an
NEC MultiSync 3D.)

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM