[comp.sys.tandy] Need Tandy 6000 info...

monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Monty) (09/21/89)

2 quick tandy 6000 questions folks....

1) does anyone know the part number for the infamous Bernoulli drive
controller? If you do, do you also know if there is a handy schematic and
functional description for it?

2) At some point if you wish to bring your 16B to a 6000 you need to do
a Pal change... Does anyone out there know exactly what differences this
made?  I have the old 16B Service Manual and it seems that the communication
between the z80 and the 68000 controlled by I/O regs 0deh and 0dfh of the
z80 are no longer spec'd correctly in that document.

Tank'ya!
Monty

doug@letni.UUCP (Doug Davis) (09/22/89)

In article <730@larry.sal.wisc.edu> monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu.UUCP (Monty) writes:
>2 quick tandy 6000 questions folks....
>1) does anyone know the part number for the infamous Bernoulli drive
>controller?
If you mean  the interface board that goes into the 6000 it used
to be: 26-2781, (i think, someone will correct me I'm sure) it was
discontinued some time ago, it wasn't IBM compatable.

>If you do, do you also know if there is a handy schematic and
>functional description for it?
Order it from Radio Shack national parts 817-870-5662.  Use the
same numbers as above, order the service manual, it has all
the information you might need, or want,  for that board.

>2) At some point if you wish to bring your 16B to a 6000 you need to do
>a Pal change... Does anyone out there know exactly what differences this
>made?
Sorry there is no "pal" change that will turn a 16b into a 6000. A
16B is a 6MHZ 68000 while a 6000 runs at 8MHZ,  Quite a difference
if you have ever seen them both running next to each other. A long
time ago there was a pal upgrade that would allow a 16b to run the
6000 operating system (3.0 at the time) this didn't offer any speed
improvements, just operating system ones.

>I have the old 16B Service Manual and it seems that the communication
>between the z80 and the 68000 controlled by I/O regs 0deh and 0dfh of the
>z80 are no longer spec'd correctly in that document.
I'm not sure what you are asking here, or you saying that your machine
is not in spec or that the document is describing them incorrectly.
Please advise,

doug
--
Doug Davis/1030 Pleasant Valley Lane/Arlington/Texas/76015/817-467-3740
{sys1.tandy.com, motown!sys1, uiucuxc!sys1 lawnet, attctc, texbell} letni!doug

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (09/22/89)

In article <730@larry.sal.wisc.edu> monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu.UUCP (Monty) writes:

>2 quick tandy 6000 questions folks....
>
>1) does anyone know the part number for the infamous Bernoulli drive
>controller? If you do, do you also know if there is a handy schematic and
>functional description for it?

I have one hooked to my system right now.  The docs are not readily available.
However, sir-alan!msm@uunet.uu.net had a 6000 with 15MB and 10MB Bernouilli
for sale recently.  If you don't get other info ask me next week.

>2) At some point if you wish to bring your 16B to a 6000 you need to do
>a Pal change... Does anyone out there know exactly what differences this
>made?  I have the old 16B Service Manual and it seems that the communication
>between the z80 and the 68000 controlled by I/O regs 0deh and 0dfh of the
>z80 are no longer spec'd correctly in that document.

There are a lot of engineering changes that need to be made to a 16B if
what my former RS repairman told me is correct.  These include changes on
the motherboard and a change of the card cage if you have one with metal
slides.  The 6000 CPU and 1MB ram board (0K) were being sold by the
surplus operation at Tandy National Parts Warehouse.

The major change was a new set of PALs.  The PALs are not available as a
separate item, I understand.  If you go to a good-sized hamfest/computer
flea market 6000 hardware should not be too hard to find - a Tandy store
sold a friend an 4-port ARNET Smartport card for a 386 XENIX system for $5.

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (09/22/89)

<>
B>1) does anyone know the part number for the infamous Bernoulli drive
B>controller? If you do, do you also know if there is a handy schematic and
B>functional description for it?

For the 16/6000, the catalog # for the SCSI adapter was 26-6018.  There is
a service manual you can obtain that has the schematic and other highlights.
I redesigned and wire-wrapped one for the Model 4 and it only took a week
or so (evenings, etc.), so the design isn't very complicated.  All TTL
discrete.  Try for the manual;  the board hasn't been in the catalog in
a few years.

B>2) At some point if you wish to bring your 16B to a 6000 you need to do
B>a Pal change... Does anyone out there know exactly what differences this
B>made?  I have the old 16B Service Manual and it seems that the communication
B>between the z80 and the 68000 controlled by I/O regs 0deh and 0dfh of the
B>z80 are no longer spec'd correctly in that document.

If you look in a Model 16/16B service manual, there is a command bit to the
68000 board that causes data read/writes made by the Z80 into 68000 memory
to be byte swapped.  In the 6000 this was altered by a PAL(R) change.  That
bit now causes the arbitration for the 68000 bus to change in such a way as
to allow the Z80 and the refresh system to fight it out.  The 68000
is not given chances to grab the bus.  This is used when performing
a DMA or other sequential transfer of data from the I/O subsystem into
68000 memory.  Since the 68000 is in a coma, it can't be left that way
very long.  This was the only change in the Z80-68000 interface made between
the 16B and the 6000.
					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem