[comp.sys.tandy] DMP-400 printer problems

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (wordproc) (09/21/89)

I have two Radio Shack DMP-400 printers (wide-carriage).  I'm the original
owner of one of the printers and the manual is probably lost somewhere.

*Both* printers have begun doing the same thing, so I'm hoping the problem
is related to the user (me).

Neither printer will print, either connected to my 20MHz IBM machine or to
my Model 4.  The Model 4 returns a "device I/O error" type of response
such as it would if the printer was off-line, and the PRINT utility on
the AT gives a message such as "The printer seems to be off or disconnected.
Please check it", again as though the printer is off-line.

I have different printer cables (naturally) for the AT versus the Model 4,
so I don't think it's a cable problem.  Both printers act the same.

Both printers refuse to perform the character-print self-test (assuming
I'm doing it right).  When I hold down the RESET (or RESTART, whichever
it's called) on the printer's front panel and simultaneously turn the printer
on, all I get is the print head seeking back and forth across the carriage
with no character printing.  Is this only a head movement test and there's
a separate sequence for character printing?

Both printers, again, act the same.  The status lights for both printers
show the power LED and the ON-LINE/READY lights to be ON, and the ALERT light
is OFF unless I take the paper out.

This is quite frustrating as these are my only two printers
and I sorely need them.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-- Marcus Clenney
U. of Central Fla
wordproc@ucf-cs.ucf.edu

wilso_d@cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson) (09/23/89)

In article <1300@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU>, wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (wordproc) writes:
> Both printers refuse to perform the character-print self-test (assuming
> I'm doing it right).  When I hold down the RESET (or RESTART, whichever
> it's called) on the printer's front panel and simultaneously turn the printer
> on, all I get is the print head seeking back and forth across the carriage
> with no character printing.  Is this only a head movement test and there's
> a separate sequence for character printing?

Hmm..  Well, I'm not sure about your individual problem, but there are
two modes to the self test on the DMP-400.  To get the character test,
turn the ON/OFF line switch to OFF, and then hold the reset button
while you turn the printer on.  If this switch is in the ONline
position, you'll just get a carriage movement test.

I would say to 1) Try someone else's printer on your system(s), 2) Try
someone else's computer with your printers, and 3) Try using someone
else's cable on your system(s).  I couldn't imagine both printers
going down at the same time.

...dewitte
--
DeWitte Wilson <wilso_d@cs.odu.edu>                 Old Dominion University
CoSysop - The TrashBin BBS (tandy)             804-588-3013 [300=>2400] 8N1