[comp.sys.tandy] Pc Link And Downloading Files

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) (09/19/89)

     I recently subscribed to PC Link and downloaded my first file this
weekend.  The service estimated 7-8 minutes download time.  The actual
time elapsed during the download was 1 hour and 20 minutes! This is
much too slow and there must be a problem somewhere.  I should also
note that I download files from my brother's computer in California
all the time and it moves much faster than PC Link, so I know there
must not be a problem with my system.

     I do not use a mouse, have all my communications options set
correctly and I can't figure it out.  I also contacted Tandy Customer
Service for an explanation and they could not give me a reason. I think
PC Link is just a slow service.

     Has anyone experienced a slow download?  Is PC Link slow?  Any
hints or suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

 ---
 Michael D. Raustad   EMAIL:uunet!gould!mraustad  PHONE:(305)-797-5621
 Encore Computer Corp. 6901 W. Sunrise Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. 33313
 Disclaimer: My comments are my own, simple as that.

chaz@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Charles D Lembach) (09/20/89)

  I have been online to PC-Link a few times, and have downloaded 8-9
files from there. I never had any problem with the DL, or time wise.
PC-Link was generally pretty accurate for me.

Maybe the system was having a bad day? :)

--
Charles D. Lembach
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

kasey@trsvax.UUCP (09/21/89)

I suggest that you try PC-Link Customer Service for an answer to your question.
It is on the PC-Link Road Map as Customer Service, then choose PC-Link Hotline.

What baud rate were at?

Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) (09/21/89)

"> time elapsed during the download was 1 hour and 20 minutes!
"> This is
"> much too slow and there must be a problem somewhere.  I

I was on PC-Link as a gamma tester, and dropped the service after two
months due to repeatedly getting knocked off when exiting a menu, and
finding that downloads were taking way too long.  My suggestion, in all
honesty, is to sign up with a service like GEnie until Quantum gets their
act together with PC-Link.

--
Fidonet:  Mac Druaidh via 1:363/9
Internet: Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) (10/02/89)

In article <417.2518A2E5@mamab.FIDONET.ORG>, Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) writes:

> I was on PC-Link as a gamma tester, and dropped the service after two
> months due to repeatedly getting knocked off when exiting a menu, and
> finding that downloads were taking way too long.  My suggestion, in all
> honesty, is to sign up with a service like GEnie until Quantum gets their
> act together with PC-Link.

     Could you please post a phone number or address that I could use to
 subscribe to GEnie, along with monthly charge.

     If anyone else is aware of another good PC service, could you please
 supply me with the subscription information. Thanks!

 ---