[comp.sys.tandy] 80186 PC Minix help!

snewton@ (Steve Newton) (10/22/89)

In article <133@euteal.ele.tue.nl> blitter@ele.tue.nl (Paul Derks) writes:
>In <1989Oct17.234017.18698@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

->I have been trying to upgrade from my 4.77 Mhz XT to a turbo for a year now.
->finally, i got the speed i wanted.  i managed to swap an old Altos 580 i had
->for an 80186 motherboard that is supposed to be XT compatible.

>Be prepared for some wonderfull problems and get yourself an 80186 data book.
However, it is not that bad for MS-DOS programs (keep it for dac-easy,etc).
Most programs do not require knowledge about the DMA or Timer. Some do
like to insert a 'key monitor' and thus issue a End of Interupt.
It is a 'compatible' but it will be useful to have a better clone until
you are able to port/convert/patch programs to RUN ONLY ON THAT MACHINE!!

>totally not hardware compatible with the PC's peripherals. Interrupt vectors,
>hardware registers are all in the wrong places. Perhaps the board is DOS
>compatible on the BIOS level but certainly not at the hardware level.
>You will have to change the kernel considerably.

: Do what I did- disassemble the ROM (debug: uFFFF:0000 and many t&p's 8:)
Look for a out ax to FF02--This establishes a table base for all other internal
chip ports.
	Let's form a mailing list of those lucky to have 286 speed without
	a MMU (the 186)