[comp.sys.tandy] Why the TL/2 is different than the TL...

JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET (Jim Achuff) (10/28/89)

The main difference that Tandy is toting is Smart Drive Technology (HA!) making
Radio Shack the only dealer carrying the hard drives for the TL/2. What a Smart
Drive is is a 20 or 40 meg hard drive with a bastard connector that only fits
into the TL/2's connector slot. (What they've done is put the hard drive
controller on the motherboard). The TL/2 can also support up to 3 floppy drives
whereas the TL could only handle 2. Other than that, there is basically no
difference, and the price is the same. My advice, get a TX if you can find one,
then go for a TL. Get the TL/2 only as a last resort, 'cause just like they
always do, Tandy has come out with that wonderful Tandy compatibility.
-------
    First you must believe - then you can understand  :  __  /\      :
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=: |  ||  ||  | :
  Jim Achuff                :  JRA102@PSUVM.PSU.EDU   : |__||__ |  | :
  125 Beaver Hall           :   JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET   : |      ||  | :
  University Park, PA 16802 :JRA102%PSUVM@PSUVAX1.UUCP: |   |  ||__| :
  (814)-862-8612            : JRA102%PSUVM@CS.PSU.EDU :      \/      :

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (10/29/89)

In article <89300.141104JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET> JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET (Jim Achuff) writes:
>The main difference that Tandy is toting is Smart Drive Technology (HA!) making
>Radio Shack the only dealer carrying the hard drives for the TL/2. What a Smart
>Drive is is a 20 or 40 meg hard drive with a bastard connector that only fits
>into the TL/2's connector slot. (What they've done is put the hard drive
>controller on the motherboard). The TL/2 can also support up to 3 floppy drives
>whereas the TL could only handle 2. Other than that, there is basically no
>difference, and the price is the same. My advice, get a TX if you can find one,
>then go for a TL. Get the TL/2 only as a last resort, 'cause just like they
>always do, Tandy has come out with that wonderful Tandy compatibility.
>-------
>    First you must believe - then you can understand  :  __  /\      :
> =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=: |  ||  ||  | :
>  Jim Achuff                :  JRA102@PSUVM.PSU.EDU   : |__||__ |  | :
>  125 Beaver Hall           :   JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET   : |      ||  | :
>  University Park, PA 16802 :JRA102%PSUVM@PSUVAX1.UUCP: |   |  ||__| :
>  (814)-862-8612            : JRA102%PSUVM@CS.PSU.EDU :      \/      :

  The 'Smart Drive' is simply Tandy's name for IDE (Integrated Drive
Electronics.) This is now available on more and more computers. You can use
standard IDE drives in the TL/2, along with most of their newer computers.
You can also use a standard hard disk controller, if you don't mind giving
up a slot.
  IDE has been around for over a year, and I first saw it on CompuAdd
computers, although there were probably others out by then, too.
  IDE drives are available up to 70M.

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

kevin@iisat.uucp (Kevin Davies) (10/30/89)

In article <89300.141104JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET>, JRA102@PSUVM.BITNET (Jim Achuff) writes:
> Drive is is a 20 or 40 meg hard drive with a bastard connector that only fits
> into the TL/2's connector slot. (What they've done is put the hard drive
> controller on the motherboard).
>                                       My advice, get a TX if you can find one,
> then go for a TL. Get the TL/2 only as a last resort, 'cause just like they
> always do, Tandy has come out with that wonderful Tandy compatibility.

These new smart drives are manufactured by Western Digital and are really
not that 'special' (like having ESDI/SCSI).  It's true that the drives
plug directly onto the motherboard of the TL/2, and a special 'AT' controller
is required for their 3000 and up lines.  But XT type controllers for smart
drives are available. They are usually shipped with these IDE (as they
are called) drives.
--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!kevin