[comp.sys.tandy] I want to buy stuff for a Tandy 1000A

hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) (10/30/89)

	I would like to buy some sort of turbo board to up the clock on
my Tandy 1000A, has anyone tried a V20 or 286 in this?

	Also I would like to get a hard card (~30 MB) if the price is right.

	Thanks in advance...

	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu

gklimes@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (George Klimes) (11/10/89)

In article <20270@ut-emx.UUCP> hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:

>	I would like to buy some sort of turbo board to up the clock on
>my Tandy 1000A, has anyone tried a V20 or 286 in this?
>
>	Also I would like to get a hard card (~30 MB) if the price is right.

Well, Tandy still sells a 80286 speedup board for the 1000/1000A. It
supposedly works OK with most software. I was going to buy one for my Tandy
1000, but I decided not to and bought a 3000HL (at a great price!) to
replace it. It sometimes goes on sale for $199 or $299 (but I wouldn't
pay $299 for it). You might want to consider getting an AT-type machine
if you plan to sink lots of money into the 1000.

As for the hard card, check with Shamrock (has an "800" order number).
They (and others) sell them for the Tandy 1000. Check PCM (Tandy specific
magazine), PC Resource, PC Magazine, and others for ads. If you only have
one floppy, I'd recommend getting a hard disk and separate controller.
This is probably more reliable than a hard card (and these are going out
of vogue by the way). Further, you can take the hard drive (and
controller - if it has a jumper for PC compatibility) to another machine
to use should you decide to upgrade. Or you could just get a faster
controller and reuse the drive. Hard cards for the Tandy run (last time I
checked) from $299 to $309 for a 30 megger...

--- George Klimes
    Graduate Student, Computer Science
    George Mason University