[comp.sys.tandy] Re^2: new tandy wp? seen it? used it?

jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (12/06/89)

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:

>-Message-Text-Follows-
>In article <520002@acf5.NYU.EDU>, hargitai@acf5.NYU.EDU writes...
>>anybody seen or used the new tandy wp, notebook-size?

>I took  a brief look  at it  this week. It is about  the size of a RS
>Model 100  but thinner and much lighter.  The keyboard had nice feel.
>Formatting, saving files to  memory and other functions are performed
>by pressing one of two function keys in conjunction with keys 1-9 (it
>is labeled).  It  has a parallel,   serial, and  cassette port.  I am
>currious if RS has planned a disk drive for it.

I sprung for one -- and really like it. All the functions that is does
work well, and it's dandy in terms  of size  and use. There  is around
18K available for text  with the basic unit  and the promise of a  32K
ram disk chip for  internal use, as well  as more expensive cards that
are changable (32K also). There  are  an extra  four pins for the  32K
internal memory, so I assume they are address lines  if they decide to
come out with  bigger ram disk chips.  The  model  100 portable drive,
3814, works with  the WP-2, with  the addition of  a 25->9 pin  RS-232
converter.

I believe that  Tandy is going  to make  additional software available
via  the memory cards, when they  are  produced. Current sale price is
$300 for the WP-2 and $170 for the external 3.5 drive (200K/disk).

-Jim Becker
--
   Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems
   ...these are my opinions, and even my id disagrees..