[comp.sys.tandy] Advice Needed on TRS-Floss

goldstein@arecibo.aero.org (11/29/89)

A while ago I posted asking for advice on translating Mod I ASCII files up
to a PC-type format. Several people suggested that I try a program distributed
by Radio Shack called TRS-Floss.

It runs $90, and supposedly will read Mod III disks. The guys at the Computer
Center had no idea if it would read Mod I with Percom-style double density.

Has anybody used this program? Is it worth the money? At this point, I'm
almost ready to buy a new system and pay some high school kid to retype all
the stuff I've got on the Mod I.

If anybody has Words of Wisdom they are willing to offer, I am more than
happy to hear from you!

[please note: our email link here is ... questionable ... at best. Perhaps
 posting would not be rude, given these circumstances.]

T'anks!
___Samuel___
_________I_claim_and_accept_sole_responsibility_for_the_above._SjG.____________
<goldstein@arecibo.aero.org>       | "The world is filled with the reptant
(213) 336-3592 (9-5, M-F)          |  and the squamus. Beware!"

hlw@attcc.UUCP (11/30/89)

Couldn't you just upload the files from the Model I to a local system,
then download them to the PC?  THis is what I have always done.

Howard Wilson II

Kevin.Parris@p5.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Parris) (11/30/89)

In an article of <29 Nov 89 00:29:28 GMT>, goldstein@arecibo.aero.org writes:

 >From: goldstein@arecibo.aero.org
 >Date: 29 Nov 89 00:29:28 GMT
 >
 >Several people suggested that I try a program
 >distributed by Radio Shack called TRS-Floss.
 >
 >It runs $90, and supposedly will read Mod III disks. The guys at the
 >Computer
 >Center had no idea if it would read Mod I with Percom-style double
 >density.
 >
 >Has anybody used this program?

An associate has 'PC Cross Zap' from Hypersoft, which is very similar to the
TRS-Cross program.  He has never had any trouble reading his Model One
double-density diskettes on an IBM/Clone/PC with it.  Note that it does NOT
read single-density formats.  Also, the documentation says (and his experience
proves) that if you have TEAC floppy drives there will be some hassle to the
process, if it works much at all, but other brand drives usually work just fine
(like the factory stock drives in a real IBM PC).  It will also MAKE TRS80
format diskettes on the IBM type machines, and move files in both directions
PC->TRS80 and TRS80->PC.

   Kevin

Kevin Parris == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.5!Kevin.Parris

wfd720@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (12/01/89)

Samuel-
If nothing else, the Model III, I think, will read Model I cassettes.  Ugh,
I know, but if TRS-Floss won't do your Model I disks, you could probably do:

MODEL I ===> cassette ===>MODEL III ===> disk ===> TRS-Floss

Of course, this assumes access to a MODEL III.
One time through it probably wouldn't be so bad.  I don't know if multiple
files can be put on one tape sequentially.  I know they can on the CoCo.

If nothing else, it should take the high school student less time
than typing it all.

Walt
wfd00828@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

mjg@uncecs.edu (Michael Gingell) (12/07/89)

As a follow up, Hypersoft which supplies PC Cross Zap can be reached
at PO Box 51155, Raleigh, NC 27609. They are still in business.
They also make Hypercross which runs on the TRS80 and reads/writes/
formats PC disks. You need a doubler on the Model I.