[comp.sys.tandy] Blowing off steam at Tandy.

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) (12/08/89)

     I received my new release of PCLink recently and followed the installation
procedures to the letter.  When I went to run it, I received an "out of memory"
error. (I have 384k memory, which is standard with the Tandy 1000SL model). I
called customer support to which I was placed on hold and disconnected. After
a while of trying I finally got someone.  We tried everything and I do mean
everything!  Finally I was told that the new release would not work on 384k
of memory and I was going to have to use my old software.  Well, fine.

    Guess what?  That's right, my old software would not work now and kept
disconnecting me so I called customer support again.  After an hour of trying
I still could not get on.  Now I have a new release that doesn't work and an
old release thats screwed up.  I disconnected my service that day, what choice
did I have?

     All the people I talked with were more than helpful and I have nothing
to say bad about them.  My beef is with Tandy.  How could you overlook such
a SIMPLE thing before you let this new release fly??  Why didn't you tell
people they needed more memory to operate the software?  You are going to
run yourself right out of the PCLink business if you continue like this.

     One final note for you to think about.  It doesn't take a genius to
figure out that the same file it takes me an hour and a half to download,
and uploading only takes 8-10 minutes, means there is something radically
wrong with your system.  Since I am charged for downloads and I receive
credit for uploads, which process would you make longer???  I called
customer support about this twice.  The first time they told me that my
mouse was slowing things down.  When I contacted them the second time and
told them I did not have a mouse, they told me my mouse was causing the
problem AGAIN!!  What mouse??  I don't have a mouse and use a 1200 baud
Tandy modem.  I have my system set correctly.  You need to adjust yours.
These type of responses is what pushed me over the edge to disconnect the
other day.

     I have stood by Tandy for twenty years and use all there products. I
will still stand by them, but why do you treat me like this?  Have a
great day.  I'm going with another BBS board.

                   __                           /  6901 W. Sunrise Blvd.
  /\/\  o /  __   /__)  __          __/ __  ___/   Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33313
 / / / / /) (__  /  \  /_/ /  / /\   / /_/ /  /    PHONE: (305)-797-5621
/   /_/_/ \_(__ /   /_/ /_(__/_/__)_/_/ /_(__/     EMAIL: uunet!gould!mraustad
  Disclamer: I speak for only myself.

garylee@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Gary Lee) (12/08/89)

RE: PCLink and Tandy

Your cancelling of you subsciption will only affect Quantum Computer Services
, not Tandy. If anyone should be blamed it should be Quantum. Blaming Tandy
for problems w/PCLink is like blaming them for problems w/Compu$erve.

I had afew problems with PCLink early on and also decided that it wasn't
worth the bother. Now I just stick to here and Compu$serve. Between them and
here I can get most anything I need.

Mind you I was not so pleased with CI$ afew years ago, But they have greatly
improved in the last 3-4 years.

BTW I forgot to include the phase  IMHO.

Gary

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (12/09/89)

In article <1989Dec7.233314.23496@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, garylee@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Gary Lee) writes:
> RE: PCLink and Tandy
>
> Your cancelling of you subsciption will only affect Quantum Computer Services
> , not Tandy. If anyone should be blamed it should be Quantum. Blaming Tandy
> for problems w/PCLink is like blaming them for problems w/Compu$erve.
>
> I had afew problems with PCLink early on and also decided that it wasn't
> worth the bother. Now I just stick to here and Compu$serve. Between them and

I agree.  I have never used PCLink, but since the software was included
with my 1000 SL, I looked over the booklet which described it.  I
immediately recognized it as Quantum Link's handiwork.  In my Commodore
64 days, I had heard a lot about them, since they had a Commodore
version at the time (and still do, I guess).  Anyway, I found almost no
one that had anything good to say about the service.  Consequently I
decided to skip PCLink as well.

Tandy is only to blame to the extent that they do have an arrangement
with Quantum.  I presume they got something from Quantum for promoting
their service.  Hopefully they will not renew whatever arrangement they
have. Chances are they were bamboozled by Quantum promising how all
kinds of new features, etc. would be offered "in the future", or
something like that.  These things never seemed to show up for the
Commodore users, either.)

By the way, another alternative, not quite as comprehensive as
CompuServe, is GEnie.  It's even cheaper, and offers a reasonable
number of forums and files.
--
"CROOK ROBS 16 BANKS --              Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 WITH A CUCUMBER"