[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 1200HD Keyboard problems

danr@SSD.HARRIS.COM (Dan Rittersdorf) (12/18/89)

Are there any 1200 HD users out there?  I have a problem with my keyboard,
and I need to know if anyone else has had the same problem, or knows how
to fix it.

Obviously, the *real* fix is to get a *real* machine with some reasonable
amount of horsepower, but I don't do the P.C. development anymore that I
used to, and the old 1200 has been reduced to a "pleasure vehicle" and
intermittent terminal emulator.  The large investment in more horsepower
isn't worth the little bit I'd use the machine at home.

The problem is that the keys on the keyboard simply refuse to respond on
the first press -- and some wait till I pounce on the keyboard to respond.
This makes for sore fingers if I do anything remotely resembling *use*
of the machine.  I have had it apart and cleaned it up -- no change.
I even took it for a ride outdoors in hopes of discharging an static
buildup -- no response.  Does anyone but Tandy have a replacement keyboard
that matches the pin assignments on a 1200?  Tandy has an adapter,
but for that $250.00 I can replace the parts of the machine that remain
Tandy!  (Perhaps this is the *real* fix???)

I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions.

-danr
            "oochie-woochie-coochie-coo" -- an old Earth dialect
  Dan Rittersdorf  (Dan'l fer short...) : danr@hcx1.ssd.harris.com
  Harris Corporation, Computer Systems Division, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed above are mine, Mine, MINE!
Anyone else that wants one will have to look elsewhere.  That includes Harris.

STEELE@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (Greg Steele, OSU/IRCC, (614)292-4843) (01/02/90)

In article <2370@hcx1.UUCP>, danr@SSD.HARRIS.COM (Dan Rittersdorf) writes:
> Are there any 1200 HD users out there?  I have a problem with my keyboard,
> and I need to know if anyone else has had the same problem, or knows how
> to fix it.

> I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions.

I've replaced a 1200hd keyboard with a 102-key clone keyboard without
any problems whatsoever - no cabling, or any other type, of problems.
Keyboards are available mail-order for $60-100 from many vendors.

Good luck.
Gregory (Greg) E. Steele              (Internet):steele@mps.ohio-state.edu
Network Engineer                      or TS0038@ohstvma.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University             (BITNET): TS0038@OHSTVMA
Instruction & Research Computer Center
1971 Neil Avenue - Rm 406             Voice: 614-292-4843
Columbus, OHio  43210-1210            FAX:   614-292-7081