[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy's new WMRM optical disc device

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (12/26/89)

A cousin of mine who works as a programmer in Los Angeles is visiting here
for Xmas. He told me yesterday about seeing a device developed by Tandy
at some kind of electronics market show. It's fully operational.

It's a WMRM (write many/read many) optical disk with a capacity of about
4 gigabytes. It can interface with your VCR, computer, or CD player, to the
extent that you can store/retrieve all three kinds of data on a single
optical disk. It threatens to *devastate* the market for hard disks,
CD players, and VCR's, since its enormous capacity permits you to use a
single disk for *everything*.

The device is supposed to retail for under $600. Extra disks (should you
ever need one!) will run about $160. Tandy is currently contracting with
4 companies (such as Dell computer) to manufacture the disks.

And now, the obvious, obvious question: is this for real?

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (12/30/89)

In article <22805@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>A cousin of mine who works as a programmer in Los Angeles is visiting here
>for Xmas. He told me yesterday about seeing a device developed by Tandy
>at some kind of electronics market show. It's fully operational.
>
>It's a WMRM (write many/read many) optical disk with a capacity of about
>4 gigabytes. It can interface with your VCR, computer, or CD player, to the
>extent that you can store/retrieve all three kinds of data on a single
>optical disk. It threatens to *devastate* the market for hard disks,
>CD players, and VCR's, since its enormous capacity permits you to use a
>single disk for *everything*.
>
>The device is supposed to retail for under $600. Extra disks (should you
>ever need one!) will run about $160. Tandy is currently contracting with
>4 companies (such as Dell computer) to manufacture the disks.
>
>And now, the obvious, obvious question: is this for real?
>
>Ron Morgan
>osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

Did you by chance ask him what style or type of "disk" it is going to use?

Interesting prospect...

Dave

Send any EMAIL replies to: UmRose05@CCU.UManitoba.CA

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (01/08/90)

	I think it may be phony.  Tandy has been developing THOR, but it
is a WORM drive and it sucks.  I have had no lease information about any
other drive, but I do know that THOR is behind schedule.

-bryon-