[comp.sys.tandy] TRS-80 Model I

tswenson@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Timothy Swenson) (01/12/90)

	I have recently picked up a used TRS-80 Model I
with the monitor.  In shipping the monitor has been
trashed.  Does someone know if there is a way to get the
Model I to send output to a TV?  Is there an RF modulator
made for the Model I?  Or better yet, does anyone have
an old Model I monitor that they would like to part
with?
	I hate to see this computer just sit in the closet.
Can anyone help me?  Thanks,

	Tim Swenson
	tswenson@dgis.dtic.dla.mil

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (01/12/90)

In article <719@dgis.dtic.dla.mil> tswenson@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Timothy Swenson) writes:

>	I have recently picked up a used TRS-80 Model I
>with the monitor.  In shipping the monitor has been
>trashed.  Does someone know if there is a way to get the
>Model I to send output to a TV?

The model I video output is just standard composite video with a
funky connector, the signal and gnd can be fed into any old composite monitor
or rf modulator.

i used to run my mod i w/ a rca survellance monitor and later a zenith
green screen.

good luck

tim takahashi
ttak @ uhura.cc.rochester.edu

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (01/14/90)

The Model I video jack outputs a "normal" composite video
signal. I don't have the pin assignments handy, but you
may be able to locte the correct pins by trial and error.
(only 3 of the 5 pins are used, one for ground, one for
+5v, and one for the video signal)

If you hook it up to either a composite monochrome monitor
(say $90 new) or the video in jack on a TV or VCR, you
should be set.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (01/16/90)

In article <719@dgis.dtic.dla.mil> tswenson@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Timothy Swenson) writes:

>	I have recently picked up a used TRS-80 Model I
>with the monitor.  In shipping the monitor has been
>trashed.  Does someone know if there is a way to get the
>Model I to send output to a TV?  Is there an RF modulator
>made for the Model I?  Or better yet, does anyone have
>an old Model I monitor that they would like to part
>with?
>	I hate to see this computer just sit in the closet.
>Can anyone help me?  Thanks,

Well Tim, the Model I is what got me started in computers in 1977.

I would say forget the model I monitor as they weren't that good to start
with.  It was nothing more than an RCA tv set with the tuners out.  It also
had a hot chassis so it had an opto-isolator card put in to keep from frying
things.  To put a real monitor on is a "piece of pie - cake!".

The 5 pin DIN connector on the the back has 3 connections in it.  One is a
common ground for the other two signals.  One has video, and one has 5 volts
for the optoisolator.

Get a cable for a mono cassette machine, one that has a 5 pin din on one side,
and two rca cable on the other.  Measure the one for 5 volts.  Cut it off.
Use the other as a direct video in from the I to a monitor.  I did this years
ago, and the improvement is astounding.  You sould be able to pick up a used
monitor (with composite input for $30  or so).

Have fun!

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP