[comp.sys.tandy] Tandy 1000SL VGA Music Help

ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) (01/10/90)

 Help - I have a Tandy 1000SL onto which I installed a Orbit VGA 100
 Board and an IBM Model 5175001 display.

 Previous to this installation the Music function of Desk-Mate worked
 with a mono-monitor.

 Now, however, anytime I enter MUSIC.PDM, the system locks up and a
 boot is required.

 At first it was suspected that it was an interrupt problem, but
 considering that other sound and music, such as from games software,
 have no problems, that it is probably not an interrupt problem.

 Software is MS-DOS 3.3 and Desk-Mate 3.0.0 - Any help will be appreciated.
 Addition information, this is the ONLY program of many that fail, so
 it may be software, but I don't get any good answers from my local
 Radio Shack people.

 Send e-mail direct if possible or snail to:

 Ed Naratil, W3BNR                          ean@gvl3.gvl.unisys.com
 531 Ringold Street
 Phoenixville, PA 19460

ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) (01/11/90)

Re: Message-ID: <482@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>

Additional information -  The Tandy 1000SL has 640KB of memory
installed and the Tandy SETUPSL video memory allocation is as
low as it can be set since the VGA board has its own memory.

Of all the software that I have, that has sound/music, DeskMate
MUSIC.PGM is the only one that doesn't work and hangs the system.

Ed             ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com

karsten@decatl.dec.com (Jim Karsten) (01/12/90)

In article <484@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) writes:

>Re: Message-ID: <482@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>
>
>Additional information -  The Tandy 1000SL has 640KB of memory
>installed and the Tandy SETUPSL video memory allocation is as
>low as it can be set since the VGA board has its own memory.
>
>Of all the software that I have, that has sound/music, DeskMate
>MUSIC.PGM is the only one that doesn't work and hangs the system.
>
>Ed             ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com

    I have a Tandy 1000TL/2 with 640kb of memory and  I found out
that if you have a printer hook to the parallel port you must have
the printer turn on (power that is ) but you don't need it on line.
I have not yet got the technical doc set form Tandy for the 1000TL
So I am not able to say you need the printer powered on.

 Hope this helps

--
Jim Karsten
Digital Equipment Corporation

ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) (01/27/90)

Ref <482@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM

Thanks to all who volunteered information regarding my sound problem
with the Tandy 1000SL.

After trying everything short of replacing the system board, I
decided to reload a new copy of COMMAND.COM.  After removing the
file and entering SYS C:, an error message of 'Not enough space
on disk" was displayed.

After reformatting the hard disk and reloading COMMAND.COM and the
IBMBIO files, the MUSIC.PGM program of Deskmate worked again.

Whatever the problem with either the IBM* and COMMAND files was,
was the cause.  Strange, because only Deskmate MUSIC.PGM would
hang system.  ALL other software worked with no problems.

So amd posting this as information - if you have a weird problem
like this, you may want to try reloading the COMMAND.COM and
the IBM* files.

(No sig line needed - All necessary information appears in the Header)