[comp.sys.tandy] How much memory on a 3000HD motherboard?

alan@letni.UUCP (letni) (02/02/90)

In article <Cnth*22@cs.psu.edu>, zaikoski@alqualonde.cs.psu.edu (Leonard Zaikoski) writes:

>    Does anyone out there know how much memory I can put on the
> motherboard of my Tandy 3000HD?  When I bought it, two of the
> four banks were filled with 256K chips.  Over the summer I upgraded

 Well, the amount of memory on the 3000's main logic board can be either
1 meg or 640k depending on which motherboard you have.
 There were 2 distinct versions of the 3000's MLB. One was a "discrete"
 motherboard, and the other was a "gate array" version. The easiest way
to tell the difference is to count the number of large square chips with
the "CHIPS" logo on them. If there are 5, then you have the "gate array"
version, if there are none, then you have the discrete MLB.
 The gate array MLB was capable of 1 meg: 640k base 384k shadow RAM.
The 384k shadow RAM can be accessed via TEMM.SYS.
 The discrete MLB could only take 640k on the MLB.

--alan
Alan J. Caldera                  | 400 Atrium, One Tandy Center
System Engineer                  | Ft. Worth, TX 76102
Tandy Corporation                | (817)878-6875
#include <disclaimer.std>